Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:26 AM   #1

Default Help!! Blown out whites (FZ150)

Hi all,
I'm trying to take a picture of a flowing plant in our front yard in the bright sun. The flowers are large white trumpets, and the foliage is green. I've tried all the modes I can think of, but the whites are seriously blown out. (The polarizing filter doesn't help much.) Is there a setting or filter that I should be using, or do I have to do some fancy post editing?
Thanks,
.... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Aug 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM. Reason: clarification
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:50 PM   #2

You are probably going to have to set your camera to spot meter on the white, rather than use multi point or average metering, if possible. You could also adjust exposure compensation to a -1/3 or -2/3.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:29 PM   #3

Perhaps spot meter for the flower- then dial some negative exp in and use the flash- maybe with the flash in manual power mode and adjust accordingly...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi all,
I'm trying to take a picture of a flowing plant in our front yard in the bright sun. The flowers are large white trumpets, and the foliage is green. I've tried all the modes I can think of, but the whites are seriously blown out. (The polarizing filter doesn't help much.) Is there a setting, or filter, or that I should be using, or do I have to do some fancy post editing? Thanks, .... john
G'day mate

If I can generalise first - it's the job of the light meter in the camera to average out the bright-bits & the dark-bits and come up with something that's "okay", Most of the time we are happy with the result

Many times if there's lots of dark-bits, the camera's efforts to lighten it all up kills off the bright-bits ... and other times [cloudy days] the camera sees so much bright-bits that it darkens the whole scene to compensate, often to the point that the image is then chucked away

However with some subjects - like flowers ! - the dark bits are not what we want to concentrate on - so this is where you need to understand the reason for exposure being the way it is and not rely on 'magic' ~ you can do that for the other 95% of your images

Phil's exposure rules-
1 ... if the main subject is a flower, underexpose by -1EV
2 ... if the main subject is a night-time scene, underexpose by -1EV
3 ... if the subject is a landscape under a cloudy day, overexpose by +1EV to +2EV
4 ... if the subject is a sheet of paper [typing / artwork etc], overexpose by +1EV to +2EV
... and then you probably will want to fine-tune the exposure a little bit up or down to get the perfect result

Give it a try and show us he results
Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Aug 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:05 AM   #5

It sounds like you're trying to take a shot of a group of flowers in a flower bed, where the camera is trying to average out the metering and that leaves the bright flowers over-exposing.

That's not unusual with some flowers that are yellow, orange or white.

Just lower the exposure until the "blinkies" start to disappear. I think Panasonic calls it "highlights" in the menu. It's real obvious when you over-expose with the highlights active in the review or quick review, so you can correct for it easily.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:37 PM   #6

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I tried many settings before settling on the program mode, and the suggestions above, i.e. spot metering, and exposure set on the (white) flower. Doing this I was able to get some pretty decent shots. Exposure compensation of -0.66 gave about the right balance of both leaves and flower. After that that I only had to bring up the brightness of the leaves a little. Exposure compensations lower than -0.66 made the leaves too dark.
The other mode that worked even better was using iA (intelligent auto) at exposure compensation of -1.33. This gave me pretty much the perfect shot, and was somewhat sharper than the program mode.
I did not try the 'flash' method, as the other two methods seemed to do pretty much what I wanted.
Thanks again.
..... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Aug 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote