Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:47 PM   #1
Default need helping choosing a cam

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a bridge type camera with a budget of no more than $400. I will be using this mostly for landscapes, nature, wild life and just walking around street photography. Video is not important to me. Flip out screen also not a huge selling point. View finder would be nice. Raw would be good too.

I have a few in mind:
Panasonic Lumix FZ70
Fuji Finepix S1
Sony HX300

The reviews I have read have me really questioning if any of these camera's are capable of producing a decent- image quality wise. Maybe the sites I am going to are not the best in terms of reviews. If anyone has any input or has any of the camera's I mentioned I would love to know your experience with it. I am not locked to these 3 i choose so if there is nothing i forgot in same price point camera style please let me know =)

I also was looking at two other camera's that are older (2012 models) SX50 by Canon and Panasonic FZ200 - not sure if it's worth dropping that kind of $ on older technology.
reyrey71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:00 PM   #2

have you looked at the online samples on various sites?

i'd go with the FZ200 myself, but some of my reasons aren't yours - the FZ70 isn't bad at all. either are capable of taking good pics, although i found raw more useful on larger sensor cameras, but YMMV.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:41 PM   #3

Curiously,one of the two "older" cam's you mention is what I'd go for..!
The Canon has arguably the best IQ/sensor of all the small sensor bridge cameras and the optics and speed of the FZ200 are superior to the FZ70...
All said and done,however, how one views and appraises image quality is a very personal thing... and one persons "good" might be another's "so-so".
If you don't plan HUGE poster prints and can avoid "pixel-peeping" any of the above might suffice- and maybe selecting one with the features you need/want might be the better option...

Last edited by SIMON40; Sep 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:28 AM   #4

I'd go for the FZ200, good allround bridge and best EVF in it's price range.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote