Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:36 AM   #1
Default Another confused point n shoot convert

Hello all

First post, looking for some help from the best and brightest. I'd like to make the jump from my ZS7, and Black Friday has me doing research again. Unfortunately I'm hitting the same mental blocks as always... Brand, model, lens combinations, user interface (touch screens ect) and image quality. As price will be a consideration (say $800 for a small bundle as a starting point) I can't have the best of al the above. One other thing that would be really nice is the ability to download wirelessly.

I'm 35, have a 1 and 3 year old and my wife and I also like to travel. Ideally I'd like something versatile since I could be shooting the kids portraits, action or scenery. I'd like something that I can jump into and take better pics than my ZS without too much initial learning, and grow into (improving skills and adding lenses and accessories) over time. I don't have illusions that I'll just buy everything I need at once and be perfect.

I was inclined to the Canon T5i (and canon in general) until I started reading. It ranks well here, but snap sort.com rates it low compared to some Nikons.

Any help would be appreciated this Black Friday!

sohcfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:19 AM   #2

Update: i just found out my parents picked me up a Black Friday T3i, considering my uses described above, what are your thoughts on this (especially with respect to the interface). Also, I think my wireless download needs would be met with the eyefi system.
sohcfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:36 AM   #3

The T5i has a better AF system, can shoot multiple frames faster, and has a faster processor, but in most other respects, especially image quality, there isn't much difference.

The biggest variable is the lenses, and Canon has lots of good ones to choose from, for whatever you want to shoot.

I will, of course, defer to the best and the brightest in our midst.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote