Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:52 PM   #1
Default Should i buy the Canon 70D new or used?

So, I have the opportunity and budget to buy the Canon 70D with the EF-S 18-135 IS STM Lens. I was going to buy the camera with the lens new at a local camera retailer when I went to another known and reputable camera shop and they had a used Canon 70D with a shutter count under 1400. The sales rep stated that the previous owner traded up and went a full frame dSLR. However, that means that I would need to buy the Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM Lens brand new, as no one around has it used around here.

With that being said, I did the math, and ends up I would only save about $30 if I bought it used with the one-year warranty they sell. I know it is ONLY $30 but that $30 could be put towards a SD card or such. However, I can have the piece in mind that I have it new.

I have been wrapping my head around this, cannot figure out what to decide, and need to make a decision by this Saturday, so I am asking for you all, what is your opinion on this?
esipes1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:00 AM   #2

A saving of only $30 would not enough to tempt me into buying second hand, that camera may have issues and the shop might shut down next week so your warranty would be worthless.

Plus it sounds like the S/H dealer has the body over priced if you are only saving $30, thats *eBay prices* not what you would expect from a shop.

*eBay prices* Where second hand sells for more than it costs new

Buy the new set, you know it makes sense.

Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:41 AM   #3

The $30 difference won't even cover the cost of a second battery. Buy the new one.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:33 PM   #4

i expect to save 25% or more when i buy used gear. $30 is not enough to miss out on having a real canon warranty. canon is known to be a good company to deal with.

btw, i'm just curious - who would be carrying the warranty on the used camera; the store or someone else? personally i would never get a store warranty; i read about issues with those all the time.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote