Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:34 PM   #1
Default Very tech oriented guy looking for a great camera for a professional blog (beginner)

I'm starting a professional travel blog and also a photography facebook page. I need a camera MOSTLY for still pictures but will do some videos on youtube as well. I have taken photo's so far on my iphone 5 and have a great eye for photos, but since things are going to get really serious from now on I need to upgrade to a real camera. I have a lot of free time on my hands for this project but I know really nothing about cameras. What type of cameras should suffice? Digital camera or a DSLR. I know it's all about the photographer and not the actual camera. But I really need a camera that's not that expensive and takes high quality photos both in the light and in the dark (mostly daylight)

Size doesn't really matter as I will be taking still pictures of buildings or people posing. However it would really be great if the camera was not that bulky, perhaps slim. I literary have no idea of what to buy, I have been watching youtube videos and reading reviews for the past 4 hours and I still don't know what I should get. Some digital cameras are as expensive as cheap DSLRs and I'm just getting confused with all the information and pros and cons of different cameras. I'm kind of a "tech guy" I know most things about building computers and building homepages and editing videos/pictures with programs (sony vegas and photoshop) and I learned all of this pretty fast so I'm not really worried that I won't be able to navigate a more advanced camera soon enough. However I'm a realist and I believe that a beginner should start with something a beginner can handle. Price can range from 200$-400$ (the cheaper the better) however I intend to use this camera for a long time and build a legit business around my blog so I'm willing to pay what is necessary to reach that if that means digging into my pockets some more.

(all taken with my iphone 5)
abbehardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:42 AM   #2

The Panasonic FZ200, is a good allround camera, also for video. If you search around, you will be able te find it for less than $400.
On this forum, you find lots of good samples taken with this camera.

Last edited by rudimaes; Feb 4, 2015 at 2:47 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:25 PM   #3

for around 400$ i am sure you can cut a deal on

Fuji HS20 EXR
Polaroid CPL Polarizer
Photo-PRO - Tripod.

still learning..
theironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:12 AM   #4

If you can find a good used Sony A57 you will be saying "WOW" for a long time. It can be found for under $400.00.
Sony A57 with 18-55 kit lens, Sony A200 and Sony H70
50mm f3.5 Minolta Maxxum macro
24mm f2.8 Minolta Maxxum
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote