Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:42 PM   #1
Default best point and shoot macro camera

I have an ebay store where I sell mainly small (3-5" long) items--wooden toy trains. I need to replace my old camera with another that takes great up close, macro photos with accurate color. I'm currently using a Nikon Coolpix800. It takes great photos, but is dying. I'm looking for a smaller camera, point & shoot is fine. I would consider a smaller dSLR as long as any lenses it needs are not huge and cumbersome. I have tried two other point & shoot cameras (Panasonic Lumix TZ3 and Kodak Easy Share C143) and they do not accurately represent color or the flash is so strong it washes out the photo. Any recommendations?
Attached Images
ebaypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:34 PM   #2

what's your budget and will you be shooting in auto?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:54 AM   #3

A good bridge for macro is the Panasonic FZ200. But as pcake says, what's your budget, there a lots of options in different price ranges.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:22 AM   #4

I'd like to find something in the range <$500. Yes I shoot in auto, generally with the flash. A lot of people say to make a photo box and adjust the lighting to get good picture. Problem here is I list lots of items so spending time setting up the picture, adjusting lighting, fiddling with the camera isn't going to happen. I need it to take consistently good in focus, correct color pictures quickly. Also recharge the flash quick. Less than 1lbs is also preferred. I'd really like a camera that uses AA batteries but is not a firm requirement. Thank you in advance for your help
ebaypics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:26 AM   #5

For quick e-bay photos I use a Nikon S3500. Flash recycle time is good. It takes very good macro shots. This uses a battery pack though. I also have a Nikon L820. Which also takes great pictures.

Last edited by Weebee; Mar 24, 2015 at 3:31 AM.
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:48 AM   #6

For a long time, I used an old Canon PowerShot G5 for close-up product photos like you show in your original post. I'd still be using it today, however after many years of service (almost 10 years), I think some problems were starting to develop with her. I also used a PowerShot G6. I like the G-series cameras from Canon because they offer all of the controls I need, and they produce excellent results.

I recommend not using the flash. Get yourself some decent lights (inexpensive domes from the local hardware store with good compact fluorescent bulbs and a simple diffuser work well), and shoot in manual mode with the ISO set to the lowest setting, f/8 for the aperture, and then adjust the shutter speed until the exposure is how you want it for each shot. Also, a tripod is a must for the above, as your shutter speeds will likely be well below what you can hand hold.

If your colors are off, you might also want to look into using manual or custom white balance. Most point-n-shoot cameras offer a custom WB function, which is simple to use and will help ensure you are getting accurate colors.

At <$500, you have a lot of great options out there, especially if you look at some of the older cameras that have since been replaced by a newer generation. Some of the older cameras are still wonderful, and being that they have been replaced with a successor, their prices are usually discounted.

Good luck!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote