Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:05 PM   #1
Default Sports Lens

Hey everyone,

Wanting to shoot lacrosse/hockey indoors with bad lighting. I've got a Canon EOS Rebel T3 camera right now. I'm looking for a good lens that I can use for close up and far away action shots. Nothing to expensive, but relatively good. Something under $500 new, or used, the cheaper the better !
Graleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:15 AM   #2

For shooting indoor sports, you need fast shutter speeds with large apertures in order to avoid the image noise that comes from using high ISOs.

A 70-200mm f/2.8 lens should work for what you want to do.

The least expensive one is the Tamron, which sells for about $769 new. Finding good ones used will be tough. Adorama currently has a few Sigmas, but they're in pretty bad shape. B&H has a Tamron in good shape for $550. KEH has two Tamrons for $599 and a damaged but operable Sigma for $487. There are probably also some good choices in eBay, but you'll have to search for them.

Used inventory changes almost daily (sometimes quicker), so if you see something you want, you should jump on it.

Just to be clear, if the Lacrosse is also indoors, that lens will work well for that as well. But if the Lacrosse is outdoors, that lens won't be long enough to adequately cover the larger field. It can work but you'll only be able to cover your side of the field and from a good vantage point. You'll probably have to move around a lot to keep close to the action. A 70-300 lens would probably be better, and good ones will cost about the same as the 70-200/2.8 lenses I mentioned above.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote