Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:24 PM   #1
Default Olymups E-PL5 or Canon EOS Rebel

Im a novice. Currently own a point and shoot, but looking to get something a bit better. I'm looking for something under $500. I'd really like something that captures action shots well, as I have a young son who is just getting into sports. I like the idea of the small size of the olympus, but ultimately the photos are what are most important. I've read good reviews for both and need help deciding which is a better option:
E-PL5 Black PEN Camera w/ 14-42mm Lens Deluxe Bundle

Canon EOS Rebel T5 DSLR CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC Imaging with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Would really appreciate help!
justbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:14 PM   #2

Whichever you decide on, you are probably going to need something quite a bit longer than the kit lens for shooting sports. One advantage of the Olympus for that would be the smaller size and weight of the lens(es) you'll need. Glass will end up costing you more than the camera body, so you might want to look around at what is available and recommended before you decide.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:07 AM   #3

There are two types of autofocus systems:
  • Contrast Detection - The camera's microprocessor looks for patterns of high contrast in the image and adjusts the focus to maximize that contrast.
  • Phase Detection - dedicated sensors optically detect how far off the focus is and adjust focus to correct it.
Contrast detection AF is more accurate for still subjects, but requires too much work for the small microprocessors in cameras to be able to do it well for moving subjects.

Phase Detection AF concentrates on a limited number of specific locations where it obtains focus, and so is better able to get accurate focus on moving subjects.

Since you want to capture photos of sports/action, you should probably stick to a system that has a PDAF system. For the most part, PDAF systems are only used by dLSRs like the Canon Rebel series.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:39 PM   #4

I addition to what TCav says, the optical viewfinder of a DSLR makes following moving subjects so much simpler than a camera at arms length...it's also a more stable and natural way to shoot.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote