Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:09 PM   #1
Default Help re: camera for vacation

I have been evaluating whether I need a GoPro-style action cam or a P&S with good video options. I have pretty well convinced myself that my life-style is not action-cam worthy and the P&S would be the better way to go. I am going to be documenting a family vacation and want to catch landscapes, fireside videos and other scenes around the camping area. I would like to keep the price under $200, but realize that the quality of the sensors and lenses will suffer greatly at that budget.

Having said that, I have read with great interest many of the posts on the forum and done some preliminary research. I have found an interesting deal on a Olympus Stylus SZ-16 iHS that I think seems good. I can get this for ~$130 from a reputable vendor. I have read reviews about the noise esp at higher ISO and wonder if that should be a concern.

I guess what I am asking is, is this a good deal and what other options should I consider?

I can also get the Olympus Stylus SH-50 iHS (in used, but very good condition) for the same price and it has some video features that look good. If it were a choice between these two cameras for every day camera use and HD video, is either clearly better?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by fisherdmin; Jun 28, 2015 at 9:31 AM. Reason: Additional info
fisherdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:04 AM   #2

They are almost indentical in features. The biggest difference is that the SH-50 has a much better burstrate, so the camera is probably a little faster. It has also better video. So I would take this one.

Last edited by rudimaes; Jun 29, 2015 at 1:14 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:56 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply!

fisherdmin is offline   Reply With Quote