Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Default Need a Small Good Camera

I am going to a weekend vacation and a cruise later in the year. I would like to get a small-ish camera that takes good pictures. I am not a fan of the point and shoot because I feel that they are out of focus 75%+ of the time.

Any recommendations? I was looking at the Nikon 1 just because it is compact... Nothing wider than 2.5 inches. But, it looks like many people do not like it. I thought Canon put out something smaller... but I don't know.

I just don't want to have to carry around a giant DSLR but I would like to use something other than my iPhone to capture some great non-blurry shots.

Many Thanks in Advance, A Novice Yet Hopeful Photographer
Fitkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Do you require a longer telephoto lens, or can you live with say a 4-6x zoom lens?

Or, are you looking more for an ILC (interchangeable lens camera), so you can swap lenses? Like the Nikon 1 you referenced.

There are many "smaller", yet high-end fixed lens digicams out there that produce excellent results. However, they can be expensive, in comparison with other cameras. Meaning you can sometimes get an ILC for the same or similar money.

A budget would also help us narrow down some options.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:08 PM   #3

I know you will hate this but I dont't know what I want. I guess that's why I am here.
But maybe some of these details will help:
Budget $400 approx.
I would like Wifi
Def do not want to change out lenses
I just want to make sure it presents a clear as possible picture

Thank you in advance for your help and answering me.
Fitkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:52 PM   #4

A quick look at the Steve's review page finds this Olympus:http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...2-preview.html
I'm sure there are other cameras with similar capabilities, as well.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:22 AM   #5
Default Canon g7x or Sony rx100?

Both of the above are pocket able with larger sensors than most Point and shoots. Older rx100 would be I side your budget but I would go g7x for longer zoom range. G7x and older rx100s use same sensor
Ivorberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:32 AM   #6

Why would a p&s be out of focus 75% of the time? Cheap compacts have a slow AF, so it take some time to focus.
If you just look at the photos on screen or make small prints, then a good travel zoom, like the Panasonic ZS50 (TZ70) will do also. The AF is fast enough (between 0,2 and 0,3 secs in daylight) and it takes good pictures.
If you don't need the zoom, then Sony RX100 is the best choice.

Last edited by rudimaes; Aug 20, 2015 at 5:39 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:03 PM   #7

That Olympus was a very good suggestion. Revues are great and the price looks like a bargain to me.
Sony A57 with 18-55 kit lens, Sony A200 and Sony H70
50mm f3.5 Minolta Maxxum macro
24mm f2.8 Minolta Maxxum
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:33 AM   #8

Agreed. The Olympus model noted is a great little camera.

Also, look into Canon's S-series and G-series cameras. The G models are not quite "small" by many standards, but they are great performers. The S-series models, like the PowerShot S120, S110, S100, S95, and even the old S90, also perform well.

Many of these use a larger image sensor (1/1.7") than used in most compact digicams (1/2.3"), which offers better image quality and low-light performance due to physically larger photosites, thus increased surface area on the sensor.

Being they are also "prosumer" models, they offer better performing AF systems as well, in most cases anyway.

Here is our Canon PowerShot S120 review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...20-review.html

Although the reviewer wasn't really impressed with the camera's battery life, and the fact that it only has a 5x optical zoom lens, he did note that the S120 offered excellent image quality and robust performance.

I've been a big fan of this series since the S90 was released back in 2009.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:56 PM   #9

I'd second billy's recommendation of the Canon S120 (or one of its siblings) if small,good IQ AND affordable is what you're after.....

The aforementioned Olympus might not be ideal if you shoot a great deal at wide angle- as the lens performance is not the best at the wide end....

If the budget allows, the Sony RX100 is a top performer... provided (like the S120) you can live without a long zoom range....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote