Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:02 PM   #1
Default Replacement for a Canon Powershot SD1000

A friend of mine has an old Canon Powershot SD1000, and is looking for something newer and with more features and capabilities, but about the same size and shape. He doesn't see a smartphone as a replacement for a genuine camera, and wants something more capable but still very much pocketable.

What's the current state of the market in that area?
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:26 PM   #2

Canon makes a number of smaller cameras like their PowerShot ELPH 160 and 170 IS. But, it doesn't look like reviewers have been very impressed by the Image Quality from the 20 Megapixel Sensor in the newer Canon models.

So, I'd be inclined to look at something like the Powershot S120. It's not much larger, and it's got a 5x optical zoom with a 12MP 1/1.7" sensor that appears to better IQ compared to the 20MP sensor they're using in some of the newer models. The S120 is a 2014 model, but it's still available at dealers and online sites like amazon.com. For example, it's $349 directly from amazon right now:

More vendors:

What kind of budget? Of course, if budget permitted, something like a Sony RX100 IV (or older III, II, etc.) would be a nice camera with a larger 1" Sensor and great IQ; and still pocketable. They're not cheap though, as it's selling for almost $1K now. It's the best selling "new release" in the Point and Shoot category at amazon:

More Vendors (but, I'd probably stick with Amazon as they have a good reputation and return policy):

You can still find the previous versions (RX100, RX100 II, RX100 III) in stock at some dealers at a lower price point now if you're a good shopper. For example, scroll down on the amazon listing page and you'll see a comparison column with links to the RX100 II for $598 and the RX100 III or $798 at some dealers.

Or, something like the Samsung NX Mini (also using a 1" sensor) may be worth a look, too. It's not cheap either (around $549 with a kit lens):

More vendors:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote