Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:47 AM   #1
Default Small and inexpensive video capable camera

Didn't want to hijack a similar thread as the intended use is NOT sports. A Realtor client to mine wants to do video clips of satisfied clients and asked me what type of camera would recommend. Thankfully her assistant talked her out of a GoPro, and she is not referencing some industry blogs that suggest pulling out ones iPhone. I asked her budget and $250 but could be talked to $500 "if worth it." Personally, I tend to think in much higher budget and even my first thought, the 'low end' Sony RX100 IV was way out of budget.

Should be small with relatively simple controls - almost a given at that price range. Since this will be interview audio, ideally should have off camera mic, but don't know how critical is as focus is essentially set for the interview and motor won't be whirling and most do not appear to have boom mic option.

Bridge cameras might be a little too large so I ruled them out.

Anybody had any experience or recommendations? Closest I saw on low price with mic option was the Olympus EPL-6 but concerned about video capability with a single 30p recording mode. Hands down would be the Sony a5100 (wife has the a6000) or one of the Panasonics in that price range, but no external mic. The a6000 plus mic are way over budget - even as a standalone camera. Also the Nikon 1's appear intriguing but not certain.

Last edited by tizeye; Nov 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:32 AM   #2

I though the Panasonic G7, but it's also over your budget.
Cheaper is the Panasonic FZ200 and has a mic port.
There are no cheap new small compacts with a mic port.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:43 AM   #3

Not quite sure of prices, but Nikon's P7700/7800 has an external mic socket.... though maybe too many external controls to consider "simple"..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote