Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:55 AM   #1
Default Choosing a camera for my mother

I am getting my mother a camera for a gift. She likes to take photos and videos of her granddaughter as well as amateur nature shots. I am tempted by the zoom of the Panasonic ZS40 & 50, Canon SX710 and Nikon S9900. She likes to zoom in and crop bird shots. The only thing is when I look at user reviews they are all mixed for these camera as far as quick point and shoot quality and low light shots. I want the zoom, but not if these camera will not be able to be picked up quickly and snap a decent shot of her granddaughter indoors. Are these cameras capable of that or should I be looking at other models with less zoom and more versatile image quality?. Looking to spend approx $200 - $300. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
LaserCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2016, 4:30 PM   #2

lower priced long zoom cameras have smaller sensors that aren't all that great in low light. some offer RAW support (although not nikon), which makes it easier to remove some of the noise in post. have you considered the panasonic FZ200? also a small sensor camera, but it has a constant j/2.8 lens, which will help in lower light. it also has a decent zoom with a little bigger body, which helps me when shooting birds at long zoom. runs around $300 new or less used.

the thing is that if you want to shoot birds, like i do, you need a looong zoom. i've tried smaller zooms, and it leads to frustration - even with much bigger sensors. they just don't have enough detail to crop.

FZ200 darker bird shots

this user (i don't know her, but she is sometimes mentioned on dpreview regarding this camera and use) has lots of bird shots, wildlife sorts plus some others. she gets a LOT out of her FZ200, and while i consider her photography to be worthy of a better camera, look at what she does with it!

didn't mean to go off on a rave here - sorry. for your price range i just think for bird photography plus other use, the FZ200 is a great deal and good camera.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:21 AM   #3
Default Camera for your mother

If you can increase you budget i can suggest you the best cameras.
sony RX100 Mark 4 is 20MP, one inch sensor, 8.8-25.7mm, f/1.8/2.8 lens and it's near about $948.
It has little bit small sensor so that's why the picture quality isn't quite too good, when you have to print 3-foot-wide but otherwise it is good and perfect in all conditions.
If you want more like better then Sony RX100 Mark 4, you can select Fujifilm X100T without any hesitation, the price of this is near about $1300. It is the fit for new families, travel and vacation photography. It is the best because of it ability of get great skin tones in any light.
trdelectronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:08 AM   #4

I would agree with pcake the FZ200 while not the most portable is the best choice in the price range for birding, the fast aperture will also work well for capturing the grand kids. Might be a bit intimidating for her compared to a more p&s type camera but if she can get past that it is going to make some nice images.
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote