Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 6, 2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Default P&S camera for hiking

I’m an increasingly avid hiker and am lucky to be taking two bucket list hiking vacations this year (Ireland; Utah canyons). I would love to be able to take great pictures, but it pains me to say that I am not a natural photographer. At all. Years ago, before I was into hiking, I impulsively purchased a Nikon D200, which mostly gathered dust and while I still have it, isn’t at suitable for what I want due to size/weight. Right now I just hike with my iPhone and seem to be the only person who can’t take good iPhone photos.

So I’m looking for something lightweight and idiot proof. I mainly want to take nature and landscape photos. Low-light ability would be a nice plus. Research has led me to the Sony RX 100 IV. I have a couple gift certificates that I need to use up so it would be in my budget, but at the very top end. I’ve read that some of the older models might also be fine (or better?) for my needs but am not really sure. I don’t think the 4K video matters much to me at all, but if the speed and zoom are better that might be a consideration. But there could be other P&S models worth considering. I’ve mentally put off this purchase because I did just enough with my DSLR that I fear I may have unrealistic expectations of a P&S camera, but P&S seems to be what I need in terms of gear and technical shooting ability (or lack thereof).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations.

Last edited by sweetfeed; May 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM.
sweetfeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2016, 3:56 PM   #2

The Sony you mention is a fine camera and should perform admirably- maybe consider the cheaper mkIII- essentially the same minus the 4K...
Canon's G7X mkII might be worth a look if the viewfinder is not important to you... or the G5X if it is...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016, 4:08 PM   #3

You might want to look into some of the cameras made for getting banged around in the outdoors a bit, usually called 'tough' or 'lifeproof' or something similar. They tend to be heat, cold and drop resistant, as well as waterproof (an especially good idea if you hike in Ireland).
I don't have any specific recommendations, though.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2016, 1:06 AM   #4

The Panasonic TZ100/ZS100 has the same size sensor as the RX100 series. And a 10x zoom.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote