Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2016, 5:52 AM   #1

Default Replace my Canon S110 ?

I got a Canon S110 that I purchased when it first came out in late 2012. I love my Canon but I was thinking maybe it was time to upgrade ? Are there any new Canon cameras out there that would make it worth my while to upgrade ? I still want something small enough that I can fit in my pocket like what I have now.

Thanks,
Phillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2016, 6:08 AM   #2

I was reading up on this site and I found the Canon PowerShot SX620 is coming out in late June. Maybe I found my new camera...
Old May 18, 2016, 7:18 AM   #3

You say you love your Canon, which suggests you're happy with it- yet you're thinking of an "upgrade", which suggests you might feel that you're camera is missing something....
Is there anything in particular that you want/need from a new camera...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Well, I realized my camera is now over 3 hears old. It seems fine to me, but I figured a newer camera might take some better pictures ? My camera is 12 mega pixels which seems to be a small amount these days. I have been making some 18x24 canvas prints of late. Figured maybe more mega pixels might do me some good ?
Old May 18, 2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies View Post
Well, I realized my camera is now over 3 hears old. It seems fine to me, but I figured a newer camera might take some better pictures ? My camera is 12 mega pixels which seems to be a small amount these days. I have been making some 18x24 canvas prints of late. Figured maybe more mega pixels might do me some good ?
Don't get caught up with megapixels. First off, 12-megapixels is more than most people need. Even with your larger prints, 12-megapixels gives you plenty of resolution, unless you are doing a good amount of cropping.

Secondly, your camera has a larger (1/1.7") image sensor, and with fewer photosites, it can actually outperform many other sensors of similar or higher megapixels; especially those of the average 1/2.3" sensor variety. And, this isn't just in terms of image quality, but also low-light performance, etc.

More resolution does not always equal better quality. I'll take a larger in size, lower resolution sensor over a smaller in size, higher resolution sensor whenever possible.

If you're happy with your S110, I would not "upgrade" to a more current model unless you are actually seeing a deficiency with your S110. And, while the SX620 you mention looks like it will be a nice compact super-zoom, it's very unlikely that it will match the image quality output of your S110; especially when considering your 18x24-inch prints. It does, however, give you much greater focal coverage with its 25x optical zoom lens.

If you were thinking of upgrading, I'd look at Canon's G-series or EOS line of cameras (which will match or exceed your S110's IQ). That's assuming you want to stick with Canon.

Good luck!

Cheers,
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016, 9:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the insight. Never thought of it that way. I've been using and buying digital cameras since 2003. It used to be every 18 months or so I'll be upgrading and buying a new one as my old one was painfully obsolete. I guess having a 3 year old camera isn't as bad as it used to be. I will take a look at those cameras you mentioned just to see what is out there. But I won't be buying anything at the moment...
Old May 21, 2016, 6:02 PM   #7

I second Billy's pearls of wisdom there... resolution/megapixels is a small part of a large equation when it comes the image making process- and for me, a quality lens is a larger player in that equation...
A high resolution sensor is a complete waste of time with poor glass in front of it- you'll have a "large" image- but poor quality...
When considering a purchase in the future- try and view as many online reviews as you can- with downloadable images at varying focal lengths to browse over- to ascertain lens quality (or lack of). Look out for sharpness across the whole image- especially into the outer regions if the images. See if sharpness is maintained at all focal lengths. Keep an eye out for distortions or colour fringing (colored edges in high contrast regions).

I have an old Sony cybershot 7mp camera, a 10mp Ricoh and a 7mp Panasonic- all of which I still use happily for one reason only- they have good glass up front...

P.S- Of course- If you have good glass AND a high resolution sensor, then yes- that will produce a larger image/print size of equal quality compared to its lower resolution cousin- all else being equal.

Last edited by SIMON40; May 21, 2016 at 6:17 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016, 1:01 AM   #8

The Canon S120 is still a good camera. So if you want better pics, you have to look at least at a 1" sensor camera. Like the Sony RX100 (I to IV), the Panasonic ZS100/TZ100 or the Canon G5X or G9X.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016, 8:34 PM   #9

Thanks guys
Old May 23, 2016, 7:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I second Billy's pearls of wisdom there... resolution/megapixels is a small part of a large equation when it comes the image making process- and for me, a quality lens is a larger player in that equation...
A high resolution sensor is a complete waste of time with poor glass in front of it- you'll have a "large" image- but poor quality...
When considering a purchase in the future- try and view as many online reviews as you can- with downloadable images at varying focal lengths to browse over- to ascertain lens quality (or lack of). Look out for sharpness across the whole image- especially into the outer regions if the images. See if sharpness is maintained at all focal lengths. Keep an eye out for distortions or colour fringing (colored edges in high contrast regions).

I have an old Sony cybershot 7mp camera, a 10mp Ricoh and a 7mp Panasonic- all of which I still use happily for one reason only- they have good glass up front...

P.S- Of course- If you have good glass AND a high resolution sensor, then yes- that will produce a larger image/print size of equal quality compared to its lower resolution cousin- all else being equal.
Excellent points Simon!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote