Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Default budget pocket camera - connected

Not being able to take a contract for now, I had to buy the cheapest cell phone (zte maven). It works fine as a phone, but pictures are a nightmare. I'm looking for a pocket camera that would allow me to make decent pictures (to send as mms or print in 4 by 6) and that I could take with me pretty much everywhere.
I currently have:
- a samsung galaxy camera, which is great specially for filming kids' events, but is really big and heavy
- a fujifilm X20, which is technically not mine, really fast, but still too big to carry around
- a nikon coolpix L27
- a canon digital ixus 860 IS (= powershot SD 870 IS apparently).

The last 2 are pretty much what I'm looking for size-wise.
I was looking at the new canon elph 190, because of the wifi connection, but the reviews seem to be on the fence. I'm wondering if I would get better pictures with that than with my coolpix or ixus? Is it worth spending $150+ on a new camera, or are my compact cameras still worthy, and I should just get a card reader to use with my phone?

Thanks in advance for your advices!
Sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:29 PM   #2

I forgot to add that I looked at the panasonic zs40 that was suggested in the other budget pocket camera thread, but I think it's too big to be considered "pocket".
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:27 AM   #3

I'd suggest that for what you require, your Ixus will do fine. Perhaps consider a second-hand phone with a decent camera- obviously open to your network...
This Canon is being offered in the UK for 99... which is quite a bang for your buck...!! Maybe is affordable where you are also...?

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 3, 2016 at 11:31 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:30 AM   #4

thanks for your answer!
the camera you suggest seems perfect; however I can't seem to find it at such a low price either in the US or in EU.
you mentioning that my canon could still be good enough got me thinking though. I took pictures of the same view with all cameras (including my phone), and it's actually pretty good. Now I need to remember where the charger is