Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:35 PM   #1

Default Olympus TG-4 vs Samsung Galaxy Active vs... ?

Looking to get an Olympus TG-4, but curious how something like a Samsung Galaxy Active would compare to it? I like the "active" line of phones for their more durable exterior/water resistance etc.

I know in many ways cell phones are getting very close in quality compared to traditional cameras. However, I haven't seen a direct comparison review between these two devices... so not really sure this phone's photo quality would stack up to the Olympus TG-4.
digi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi17 View Post
Looking to get an Olympus TG-4, but curious how something like a Samsung Galaxy Active would compare to it? I like the "active" line of phones for their more durable exterior/water resistance etc.

I know in many ways cell phones are getting very close in quality compared to traditional cameras. However, I haven't seen a direct comparison review between these two devices... so not really sure this phone's photo quality would stack up to the Olympus TG-4.
I think that is a far fetched statement. Even the best smartphone cameras can not equal the image quality of some of the most affordable point-n-shoot cameras. Especially when dealing with low-light conditions.

Don't get my wrong, smartphones have come a LONG way over the years. But, in my humble opinion, they are still not close to being equal. The sensors are still tiny, and they lack high-quality optics.

That said, that doesn't mean the Galaxy Active wouldn't serve you well. If you're just taking snapshots in decent lighting, it will surely suffice. Heck, I use my iPhone 5S for most of my day-to-day photo needs, as it's always in my pocket. So long as I have good light, it does a great job. But, if I'm really looking to capture a quality image, I'll grab a camera.

I hope this helps you with your decision making process. You bring up a good point about a comparison review between a smartphone and a camera. I think I'll work up a blog post about this.

Cheers,
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:47 PM   #3

good point, I didn't consider the low light conditions, since I didn't anticipate doing anything like a mtn hike at night
I just needed something a little more durable, just in case of accidental fall on a hard surface, or falling into a stream etc.
then again, some of these trails I've been on have had a lot of shade/trees/foliage etc. hmm
digi17 is offline   Reply With Quote