Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:57 PM   #1

Default Point and shoot

I hike with my dog and have a blog on which I document our hikes. I'm tired of toting around a DSLR and want a point and shoot that will give me pictures of the trails and views but also good macros of flowers and insects. Thanks for any help.

john
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:55 PM   #2

G'day John

There are heaps to choose from [see on DP Review.com] but you need to choose size vs zoom vs features

Others here will tell you that canon + panny + sony + others all have contenders for you to consider

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:29 AM   #3

Default Point and shoot

Hello Phil - thanks for response and examples- you have a nice collection of photos. Do you sometimes use extension tubes? Do you use a tripod?

John
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Hello Phil - thanks for response and examples- you have a nice collection of photos. Do you sometimes use extension tubes? Do you use a tripod? John
G'day John

Thanks for the 'thanks'
While I do have a set of tubes for the panny G2 slr, most of my closeups are done with either the superzoom or the panny with a high quality close up lens attached to the front of the lens. By 'hi-quality' I'm talking about a 2-element lens called a "+2 dioptre close up lens" costing around $120 ... not a $25 evilbay cheapie made from unpolished spectacle lenses

The use of these lenses does need a main / camera lens that accepts filters etc. onto the front of the camera lens - and heaps of pocket-sized cameras no longer have this filter thread, so your choice of camera becomes a bit more complicated

If you want more info on these lenses PM me and I will send you a PDF explaining more about them

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
I hike with my dog and have a blog on which I document our hikes. I'm tired of toting around a DSLR and want a point and shoot that will give me pictures of the trails and views but also good macros of flowers and insects. Thanks for any help.

john
I've hiked thousands of miles in the Northeast US with a Samoyed and Pitbull on 15' leads with an m4/3 system.

If I had to pack down to the minimum, I think I'd be satisfied with a Panasonic LX100. I seemed to have outgrown the need for a long zoom, but do need the low light capability in the dense forests, valleys and tree cover along with foul weather.

I'd have to have the hotshoe for the speedlite and filter threads for a CPL or diopter, but that would get me from one end of the AT to the other.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote