Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:48 AM   #11

Not to any great extent. Converting RAW in post processing isn't very different from doing the same thing in the camera.

Where RAW really shines is when things go wrong. With a RAW image, you have a lot more to work with when trying to make it right.

Another advantage of RAW is printing. RAW files have a greater dynamic range than JPEG files, and though the difference don't often appear on a computer screen, it can and often does when printing. So printing RAW, and DNG and TIFF as well, will often provide better results than printing JPEG.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:49 PM   #12

Here's one I just shot this evening... though now not full...!!

Spot metering, "P" mode, -1/3 exp'comp, iso 100, multi AF, 600mm, f/5.2, 1/320th sec. Hand-held.
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:10 PM   #13

Thanks TCav. I have never been able to rival the in camera jpeg, by processing the RAW.
Hi Simon. This is pretty good, and the detail is excellent.
.... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:21 PM   #14

Shinnen- with regards RAW and the FZ150- the latitude for improvement over jpeg's is quite small with a 1/2.3" sensor. If you use PASM you might be able to pull back some lost highlights- though in iA the processing tends to squeeze out all highlight detail available in its jpeg output.
You can of course tweak noise-reduction and colour balance in RAW but again,we're not talking huge amounts of difference here.
If I'm shooting people, I still like to shoot RAW+jpeg, as I prefer to ease up the sharpening and soften skin tones a bit- purely personal taste of course.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:09 PM   #15

Hi Simon,
Well, I intend to keep shooting in both, raw and jpeg. There's nothing to be gained by not doing so; and who knows, I just might want that little extra some day that the jpeg has processed out.
Thanks again,
..... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote