Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:56 AM   #1

Default Super Moon FZ150

Hi all,
I took a few pictures of the super moon last night, and they didn't turn out well, poor resolution and noisy. My settings were 1/1000, centre weighted, no stabilization, F5.2, iso 100, 600mm, jpeg, tripod, 10 second delay, AF/Macro (side switch). I also took a couple of raws that looked about the same; and stabilization didn't make any difference, either way. I didn't try AF only (switch on side), nor did I try manually focusing.
I have attached a picture.
Thanks,
....... john
Attached Images

Last edited by Shinnen; Nov 14, 2016 at 8:57 AM. Reason: remove some text
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:32 PM   #2

Given the high shutter speed a full-moon offers- why not hand-hold..AND switch on IS..?
It might not make much difference with "the shot" but it will give the AF an easier time locking focus to the edge of the moon. I also find spot-metering much better for moon shots...
Don't expect a mass of detail in a full-moon however- little detail is on offer with direct sunlight (no shadows) and a 12mp 1/2.3" sensor is limiting... and even 600mm doesn't get THAT close....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:27 PM   #3

It's the Moon. It's not going anywhere (relatively speaking.) Why not set MF and focus at infinity?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:19 PM   #4

Hi Simon,
Alright. I'll try that. But I get the impression that you're not surprised with this result?
Hi TCav,
Alright. I'll try that too.
Good to talk with you both.
...... john
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
... it will give the AF an easier time locking focus to the edge of the moon. ...
That's the thing about the Moon. While it may appear "Full" for days, it's really only Full, astronomically speaking, for a very short time. The SuperMoon was really only "Super", in that it was at it's closest to the Earth, at 7:42 PM EST last night, and it was really only "Full", in that it was directly o a straight line with the Earth and the Sun, two hours later. Days, and even hours, both before and after when the Moon is actually Full, one side or the other isn't sharp.

When I was a kid, my father took me to the Hayden Planetarium, and the lecturer explained the phenomenon, and mentioned that people often asked how the planetarium had such nice photos of the Moon, with nice sharp edges on both sides, in the gift shop. He explained that they always took a photo of the Moon a few days before the Full Moon, took another shot of the of the Moon a few days after the Full Moon, and put them together. He also explained that, if you looked closely, you could see that the shadows on one side of the moon shown in a different direction as the shadows on the other.

I learned at about the age of 5, that sometimes, photographs didn't tell the truth.

So relying on the contrast between the Moon and the night sky, isn't always very reliable.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:41 PM   #6

TCav- quote "So relying on the contrast between the Moon and the night sky, isn't always very reliable..."

It's the only contrast you have for the AF to work with- and it's always worked fine for me. MF might seem like an option- but whilst you're fiddling around at 600mm (inducing camera/display wobble) and with an electronic adjustment (with low-res magnification) which is hardly precise, it's not the best option for the FZ-150. And "infinity" is useless also- because it's not...!!

Last edited by SIMON40; Nov 15, 2016 at 6:04 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
And "infinity" is useless also- because it's not...!!
... neither is the Moon.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:22 PM   #8

Default The spot is the thing

Alright. Spot metering seemed to do the trick; even hand held was better than center on the tripod. I tried manual focus at infinity but it came out blurry ... who knows why. My shutter speed was much slower tonight (1/125) but everything else was the same. Center weighted was the same as last time (not clear), and multi was blurry. The shot I'm sending you is straight out of the camera, on tripod, 600 mm. I took raw also, but have never really got the hang of processing raw. I think you have to pretty good at manipulating raw to improve on the camera's jpeg.
.... john

Name:  P1130852resize.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  73.9 KB
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:41 AM   #9

Very nice.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:05 AM   #10

Yes, it's much better than previous shots. I'm not really interested in photographing the moon; but when I heard of the super moon I decided to take a crack at it. My disappointing result led me to find out why it was so poor, with a camera that has produced so many, dare I say stunning, images. So, I'm 'ok' with this. Thank you both for your help. I very much appreciate it.
...... john
P.S. One other question. I don't recall ever being able to improve on the jpgs this camera produces by processing the raws. Am I missing something?