Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:57 PM   #11

Hi rainrunner,
Yes, I really like this. Did you get this from the the raw? What version of Photoshop are you using?
..... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:40 AM   #12

I adjusted the raw file, and I am using Photoshop CC.
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:50 AM   #13

VTphotog's results from your JPEG:

... don't look a lot different from rainrunner's results with your RAW. .
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:40 AM   #14

Hi TCav,
Not a lot, but there are noticeable differences. VTphotog's shows some graininess between the top darkness and the halo of the lamps on the left side. Also, the tree on the left side is more defined, and the yellow building is clearer in rainrunner's. (These differences may not even show in the larger versions. I don't know). I'm not trying to be critical here, I can't do as well as either one.
...... john
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:52 PM   #15

Rainrunner's rendition is definitely sharper overall and shows better definition. Some of it could well be that the resizing algorithms I used weren't optimum. I am currently without a version of Raw Therapee, but in the past, I have found it to be able to get the best out of Raw from just about any camera. Taking the time to learn how to use it, though, can be daunting.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Rainrunner's rendition is definitely sharper overall and shows better definition. Some of it could well be that the resizing algorithms I used weren't optimum. I am currently without a version of Raw Therapee, but in the past, I have found it to be able to get the best out of Raw from just about any camera. Taking the time to learn how to use it, though, can be daunting.
As for the noise graininess, you can always down load the Nik Software suite for free from Google. It has a noise reduction software.
https://www.google.com/nikcollection/
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:21 PM   #17

I have that, just didn't think to try it, as I have gotten out of the habit of doing post-processing on my own shots. I get the results I want from my camera, and seldom shoot Raw anymore. For John's photo, I would probably have set camera to HDR-Auto, and let it take the sequence. No muss, no fuss.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:44 PM   #18

Hi,
rainrunner... Yes, I'll try the Nik noise reducer. Thanks.
VTphotog ... I've been trying Raw Therapee for a few days now, but can't seem to get as good a result as rainrunner did with PhotoShop. (It could be just that I'm not familiar with it.) HDR-Auto? I don't think my FZ150 has such a setting??
...... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Nov 29, 2016 at 1:46 PM. Reason: diction
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:14 PM   #19

Alright. I think this is the best I can do. I was not able to get the result I wanted using 858 (neither raw nor jpg. I just don't have the raw editing skills). So, I went to 857, which was exposed twice as long (1 sec. vs. 0.5 sec. for 858) And I was not able to get it from the 857 raw either, so I used the jpg. As I mentioned before,I think it's very difficult to improve on the FZ150 jpg, unless one is very skilled at editing raws, which I am not. In any event ..... here's my FINAL effort. (I don't know why it's so fuzzy. The full size is quite clear.)
Name:  P1130857aRTabsmall.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  70.2 KB

Last edited by Shinnen; Nov 29, 2016 at 6:16 PM. Reason: comment about image
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:49 PM   #20

The simple act of downsampling removes most noise.

Noise is errant pixels. Downsampling (converting a high resolution image to one of a lower resolution) averages out noise (the effect of a single errant pixel is overwhelmed with the neighboring accurate pixels). You downsampled your photos in order to post them here. The mere act of displaying an image on your computer monitor, a 2MP output device, means it was downsampled from it's original 12MP resolution, means that the noise was reduced.

Just because you can see noise at 100% doesn't mean it will adversely affect the quality of your image when you view it in its entirety.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote