Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:42 AM   #21

I don't know it works, but it is a film camera, I was just curious about the lens.

so a decent point and shoot with good photos might be this Canon? or maybe you know of a different one? my budget is still quite limited unfortunately.

and a good choice for dSLR would be what brand and camera in your opinion?
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:31 AM   #22

While an entry level dSLR will provide higher quality images, the limited range and capabilities of the kit lens will constrict its usefulness. You haven't posted anything that would indicate what lens or lenses you might need to do the kind of shooting you want, so I don't know how much of an inconvenience having a conventional 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens might be. Therefore, I'm reluctant to suggest one as an alternative to a more conventional P&S.

The Canon P&S that has been the focus of this thread is a good choice, and as long as you shoot in good light and keep the ISO down, you should be able to capture high quality images that you can enlarge up to print sizes available on printers intended for home use.

I confess that I'm more familiar with Sony's product lines than Canon's, and that I'm more familiar with interchangeable lens cameras than P&S cameras, so regret to say that I'm out of my element when discussing Canon P&S cameras. But I will say that I think the concerns you expressed in this thread shouldn't be a significant impediment to your use of the SX710, again as long as you shoot in good light, such as daylight.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:43 PM   #23

Thanks for the answers...I have not been very technical with my questions, since I am not that knowledgeable about all of those things.

I typically that snap shots of my kids, grandkids indoors and out doing activities and just being kids but also scenery and occasionally animals etc. We like to take a family pic using a timer every year at least, which are the photos I tend to enlarge. I suppose most of the pics I enlarge are outdoors ones, and normally not over 11x14, but there may be occasion to enlarge bigger or indoor photos, but that is not the norm at this time.

I am not partial to Canon and the camera I have been using is a Sony, so if you have recommendations for that brand, I am open to that as well.
thanks
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:26 PM   #24

Sony's top of the line P&S cameras are in the RX series. The RX100 III probably best suites your needs. It has a 1" 20MP image sensor, a (35mm equivalent) 24-70mm f/1.8-2.8 Zeiss lens, and both an LCD display and an eye level viewfinder, for $750. Alternatively, there's the $600 RX100 II with a slightly longer, but dimmer lens, but it does have a flash shoe that the III doesn't.

After the RX series is the HX series which use 1/2.3" sensors of either 20MP or 18MP. From what you say, I don't think you need a long zoom, but a good flash would be useful, so the $400 HX50 might be a good choice, since it has a flash shoe while most of the others don't.

The all have WiFi connectivity and image stabilization.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:16 PM   #25

thanks. I had seen one of those Sony's in my investigations, a bit steep for me but maybe I can save a little longer but hate relying on my cell phone camera
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:40 PM   #26

Anything you can mount a flash on is going to be more expensive. (... not including the cost of the flash.)

If you think you can get away with just a built-in flash, then there are other, less expensive options.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:10 PM   #27

I should be able to get by with a built in flash. I have for the past years although I would want it to be a strong enough one I can take pictures inside of say people sitting at a large table or standing across about a 25 foot room or so.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntnelly View Post
... I would want it to be a strong enough one I can take pictures inside of say people sitting at a large table or standing across about a 25 foot room or so.
As fill-flash, sure. But as the primary light source, not gonna happen.

I'm not the best one to talk about flash. The last flash unit I used used bulbs.

Hopefully, someone else can step in now.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:43 AM   #29

that is ok. I think the one that I had was marginal but worked ok most of the time.

I wanted to understand this whole idea on this camera bout why it wouldn't enlarge pictures well, which you have explained very well. It might be my best option with the money I have, although I would prefer something better .. I'm going to go count up my pennies and see where I end up.

My biggest worry is I can't afford to buy a lemon and then re-purchase another camera when it doesn't work, so am trying to investigate on this end first before purchase but today or tomorrow I need to order I expect.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:07 PM   #30

The Canon Powershot G9 X ($399) is a fine camera with a 1", 20MP image sensor, and is available to rent from LensRentals.com. It performs about as well as Sony's RX100 series that cost a lot more. Here is Steve's review.