Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:53 PM   #1

Default Canon PowerShot SX710 HS ...not good enough for enlargements?

I looked at the review here on the review of the Canon PowerShot SX710 HS

It seemed pretty good except it was said several times that the enlargements would not be very clear. Are we talking really large or just say an 8x10 or 11x14? I find it hard to believe that a 20 pixel camera would have poor enlargement quality.

Any thoughts on this and this camera?

I have also read a number of reviews that say it has trouble focusing producing blurry pictures.

Last edited by auntnelly; Apr 3, 2017 at 9:06 PM.
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:33 AM   #2

Large probably means 20x20 or more etc.It is not the MP alone that decide the picture quality,it is the sensor size.SX 710 has a tiny sensor cramming a huge MP count making very tiny photosites.There will be a lot of noise and poor ISO performance at higher ISOs As you enlarge the pictures from tiny sensors they quickly start becoming grainy and patchy beyond a certain size.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:37 AM   #3

https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sourc...+sensor+size&*
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:54 AM   #4

so that would probably mean I should look for a different camera then that has a better sized sensor?

I am so lost. And I need to find something ASAP, as my camera has stopped working
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:25 PM   #5

If you only ever want to go up to 8x10, I'd say the SX710 is fine. If you want to go beyond that, I wish you luck finding a $350 camera that will do it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:03 PM   #6

Yes, I am finding that a bit of a challenge, but I have my old one that I have enlarged up to 11x14 and have been ok with it although, my DIL's photos are always better with her larger camera since we take some with both.

I hoped to find something I could live with and this was close besides this enlargement issue.

I was also looking at the Canon PowerShot SX620 but wasn't excited that the flash was not automatic. I like having the camera help me know if it is needed or not.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:02 PM   #7

I have had good luck enlarging my 20MP images up to Super-B (13x19), but they're from an APS-C dSLR. In good light, I don't see a reason why you couldn't do the same with a 20MP image from a 1/2.3" sensor P&S. The images will contain more noise, but greater resolution makes image noise less objectionable, since the errant pixels are smaller.

Also, the process of downsampling (for display and smaller prints) and upsampling (for larger prints) blends the errant pixels with the surrounding accurate pixels, again making them less objectionable.

Pushing the ISO might limit the attractiveness of the images, but if you can keep it low, you may be alright.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:06 PM   #8

Retiring Dessage Horse
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:08 PM   #9

Nice picture!
I don't know much about editing photos, but I am glad to hear doing so might help a situation if I needed some way to increase the quality of the photos.

My currant camera has only 10MP but the same sensor as this Canon. But you are saying that having the 20 MP would still help improve the picture quality even if the sensor is the same?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:56 AM   #10

You can consider a used APSC camera from KEH