Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:51 AM   #1

Hi all,
I have narrowed down to search to these 2 digicams, I am not able to zero on 1 choice, Will you people help me decide which one to choose?
I have read great reviews abt canon one. And I am reading good stuff abt Nikon also.
As canon is having 3x optical zoom and nikon one is having 4x optical zoom.
what do u guys say which one do I go for.
This will be first digtal camera.
I am a very normal person, who takes normal pics, no special needs. love to travel new places.
I have used normal point and shoot film cameras before.
I used to shoot 1 reel in a month on a average basis.
I am confused like heck, and the price difference is also not very significant. But Nikon is slightly expensive one.
Can you please, help me out in choosing a better one.

Both of these have good lens quality and as per me battery life also look ok in both. And both of these have a metal body, which I am looking for.
A camera must have enough manual option so I can learn to move ahead and automtic mode is there already.
If you like to mention some other model that you think will be a better option in this range, please go ahead.

Any kind of help will appreciated.

thanks alot.
smooth27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:45 AM   #2

If you've got the opportunity to buy a Nikon Coolpix 4500, for only a little more than an A80, I would personally "jump on it". Both use the identical Sony 4 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD, but there are important differences.

Also, the Coolpix 4500 is getting pretty hard to find in some areas now (so I would "get one, while the getting is good"). :-)

IMO, the Lens Quality of the Coolpix 4500 is superior, with less CA (Chromatic Aberrations -- which can cause Purple Fringing), especially if shooting atwider apertures.

Nikon was criticized for havinga little higher CA in some of the older Coolpix models. However, they did aMUCH better job with the 4500 (great lens). It's longer focal length could also come in handy to bring your subject in closer.

It's also got some unique features like Best Shot Selector -- that can help you to get sharper handheld photos without a tripod. Also, it's macro (closeup) performance is "as good as it gets". It can "fill the frame" with an object as small as 3/4" across, with virtually no distortion. No other digital camera can even come close the this capability, "straight from the box".

It's also compatible with a wide range of Nikon Lens accessories and speedlights. So, if you ever needed this ability, you could buy a flash bracket and Nikon speedlight that would work perfectly with this model.

Also, check out the build quality between these two models. I think you'll find the Nikon to be vastly superior, with it's magnesium alloy body.

If you're into photography, you'll also love it's program shift feature, allowing you to spin a dial, selecting from a variety of aperture/shutter speed combinations (all giving the same exposure based on current metering), so you can "tune" the shot for more or less depth of field, faster or slower shutter speeds --- so that you don't have to resort to using one of the other modes (aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual).

No offense to Canon A80 owners (it's a fine little camera, offering a lot of "bang for the buck"), but I personally don't even consider it to be in the same class of camera as the Coolpix 4500.

Personally, if I were choosing between these two models, I wouldn't give it another thought, if the price was anywhere near close --- the Coolpix 4500 would definitely be my choice.

Edit/Update: Of course, what I like in a camera, may not be what someone else likes in a camera. Also, I'm biased! I've owned two of the "swivel bodied" Nikons, and I still have an old Coolpix 950 that I keep for macro work (even though I've bought newer cameras over the years). I just can't stand to part with it.

So, I'd "test drive" the models in a storeif possible. You'll need to decide which one is best for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote