Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:39 AM   #1

Hi all,

I really like my S200, but I'm finding it a tad bit noisy (sound noisy) when I turn on the camera, I usually use this for class when taking pictures of notes that the teacher writes for later refrence. Although when I used the S200, it was excellent in all ways, its just when the lens came out, it made a bit too much noise. Before I had an Casio Ex-S2 and that worked perfectly but the pictures were terrible.

1. So my question here is should I trade in my S200 for a Minolta X20?

2. If I should, does the X20 make much noise when it turns on?

3. Considering that I am taking pictures of notes, would the picture quality meet my needs?

4.Does anyone else have a suggestion for a camera, I prefer aportable camera that won't make my pockets feel as though they willrip. And something preferably under $250

Thanks for your time!

blackcat1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 6:47 PM   #2

Any help? I was also wondering about the S20 or the S3, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 6:58 PM   #3

Interesting, that's an innovative use for a digital camera.

I'm not sure how many X20 users you'll find here in the forum, and the reviews sure don't mention "startup noise". :-)

You may want to try asking the question in the Konica-Minolta forum. I don't know if you'll get any responses there either, though. It depends on whether or not an X20 user sees it.

If I were you, I'd just go down to a store and try it out foryourself. Many retailers have demo models setup just for this purpose. Then, you'd be able to compare the noise from your camera, to models you are considering.

Keep in mind, that even ifan X20 user sees and responds to your query, they probably would not have owned both models (Canon S200 and Minolta X20), so they would not know how they compare in this area.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:05 PM   #4

Does your camera not have a sleep mode? What I'd do is power up the camera before class, and let it go to sleep (maybe have it as a short wake time of 1 minute for maximum battery life)...and then when I need to take a picture I'd wake the camera up, take the picture, and let it go back to sleep...no noise (provided I had pre-zoomed).

I have to admit I'm not familiar with that Canon, this is the way Olympus cameras work...the lens stays extended in sleep mode.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:18 PM   #5

I thank you for the replies, it's just that I'll be taking the camera to each class that I go to I really want to try not to damage the zoom lens that way.

I'll keep looking, thanks