Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:02 PM   #11

Thanks for the help so far. So I thought I had decided to go for the canon rebel or the nikon you suggested, but the rebel comes with a 18-55zoom lens for around$800, Iassume the nikon is similar,, so why then do i need to buy a lense that is 12-25 zoom, is there that much differencefrom 18 - 12, if I am even corresponding the correct numbers. I looked at the wide angle lense from canon for the rebel, the 14mm F2.8 USM AF lens, Holy cowit 1800 dollars. I assumeI do not need to buy a canon lense (other brands fit as well correct?), but why so much, and how doI determinewhat angle is enough. Some of the non SLR cameras go from 28-200mm. I am very confused on the lenses. What does a 35mm camera have, a 35 mm lense? it seems when they list lenses on a camera they correlate them to a 35mm camara why? I did not want to spend much more than 1000 dollars, but do not want to spend 975 only to find out I cannot accomplish what I want, and need to buy another camera. :?
mighty mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:21 PM   #12

With Digital Cameras, the sensor used in most, is smaller than 35mm film.

As a result, the image circle can be smaller, too.

When you look at a non-DSLR model with a permanently attached lens, the focal length is often specified as 35mm Equivalent. For example, you mentioned some models had a range of 28-200mm. You probably looked at a model like the Minolta DiMAGE A1 or A2.

These Minolta models have a 35mm Equivalent Focal range of 28-200mm. However, because the sensor is much smaller than 35mm film, the actual focal length of the lenses on these models is only 7.2-50.8mm. Because of the smaller sensors, the lenses can be much smaller and lighter, too. So, you get a more compact package with this type of camera.

These non-DSLR cameras give you much a greater Depth of Field (more of an image in focus, as you get further from your focus point), compared to either 35mm film cameras, or DSLR models, for a given 35mm focal length. Depending on your intended use, this can be a good thing, or a bad thing. For example, if you are taking photos of a subject, where you want the background to be blurred, it's more difficult to do with a non-DSLR model (because of the greater depth of field).

Personally, I think for your use, the greater depth of field you get in a non-DSLR model is better. But, you'll have to weigh the pros and cons. For example, you'd probably need to use a flash indoors with a non-DSLR model.

The Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D70 models you are looking at have much larger sensors. As a result, their lenses must be larger and heavier, too -- in order to get the same 35mm equivalent focal lengths.

Even though their sensors are larger than non-DSLR models, they are still smaller than 35mm film. As a result, a lens that you purchase for them will behave differently from an angle of view perspective, compared to the same lens on a 35mm Camera.

So, you must use what we call a crop factor (a.k.a., Focal Length Multiplier) to calculate their 35mm Equivalent Focal Length.

For the Canon Digital Rebel, this factor is 1.6

For the Nikon D70, this factor is 1.5

So, the Nikon 18-70mm lens will behave like a 27-105mm lens when on the Nikon D70. You get the 35mm equivalent focal length by multiplying the actual focal length of the lens by 1.5 with this model (18 x 1.5 = 27; 70 x 1.5 = 105).

I'd suggest visiting a camera store to "test drive" some models. If you are looking at DSLR's, then see if the store will let you try different lenses. This will let you see how wide of a view to expect. You can then better determine what the best choice is for yourlens needs.

You'd probably find it less expensive to go with a non-DSLR model for this purpose, if you need to go much wider. A wide angle converter is available to take a camera like the C-5060 WZ mentioned down to a 35mm Equivalent Focal Length of around 19mm on the wide end. This wide angle converter lists for $199.95

In contrast, the 14mm F2.8 USM AF lens you looked at for the Canon Digital Rebel, would only give you a 35mm Equivalent Focal Length of 22.4mm, since you'd need to multiply by 1.6x to get the 35mm equivalent focallength (so, this $2,400.00 lens would not give you as wide of a view on a Digital Rebel, as the Olympus C-5060 WZ model using the $199.95 wide angle converter lens).

Although, to be fair, you can buy theCanon EF 14mm f/2.8L USM Ultra Wide-Angle Lens for under $1,800.00 from online vendors.:-)

However, you'd need to use a flash indoors with the Olympus, since it's smaller sensor would have more noise if you increased ISO speed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:32 AM   #13

Thanks for all of your help.
mighty mouse is offline   Reply With Quote