Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:46 PM   #1

Hi I was thinking of getting the pentax 555 anybody have opinions on this camera ? also I have heard that this camera has been discontinued by pentax does anybody know if this is true and what are they replacing it with. One more question would you with the 555 or the Nikon 5200 ?

Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:25 PM   #2

I have the 550 and its a nice little camera. The 555 is an improved version (faster startup and less noise at higher ISOs).

This is my walk around town camera when I want to be more of a tourist than photographer. It will fit into a coat pocket or front pants pocket and the 5x range zoom gives it about as much power as you can get in a pocket size. I usually keep it on me when I am in Vegas so that I don't have to leave the bigger camera in a hot car.

The menus are great with more features than even my A2. The only thing I wish it had was a hotshoe. The lack of external flash capability limits it.

If you need something this small it is a great choice. If you don't need the portability then the Nikon 5700, Minolta A1, Sony 717 are all better cameras.

I have not heard of the 555 being discontinued (the 550 was when it was replaced by the 555) but as fast as cameras come and go it would not suprise me. If discounted like they did when they blew out the 550 it would be a great buy.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote