Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2004, 7:57 PM   #1

Im planning on buying a digital camera thats at least 5 MP. The choices are a Sony Cybershot P-100, Sony DSC-W1, and a Konica Minolta DiMAGE G500. Could anyone please give me a reccomendation or advice?
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:55 AM   #2

well this would depend on what you plan to use the camera for what what your needs are. eg: do you want to just take snapshots on auto, do you want a pocket sized camera, are you planning to blow up the photos to large size. You have to be more specific in your needs when asking this question. Im sure all these cameras are good in their own right though.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:31 PM   #3

Dear Forte ! The Minolta g500 does not have Video out. It is good to have, this way after you come home or return to your hotel, you connect the camera to a TV and you see all the pics you took , deciding what to keep etc, the 1.5" screen is too small for it.... It is so cheap to have it activated in every camera, technologically it will cost around 50 cents, but Minolta wants to be skimpy in everything, asking you to pay and not giving you the basics....

Go with the Sony W1 - BIG screen, 5 megapix and all in all a good camera !!!

You will see a lot of people talking about problems with any camera - dont just blindly be led by them, most of the time it is a herd feeling and everyone next guy repeats the previous..... I had great pictures taken sith the W12 at night, during the day and indoors and everyone likes them.... If you need portability, go with the W1 or the Optio s4I from pentax. Steve does not like it, but I use it daily, always with me and the pics are just GREAT !!!
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:39 PM   #4

and now for the bad news. the sony units use memorysticks. these are for all intents and purpose a dead end product unless you stay with sony for good. the only other mfgrs that licence the stick (which includes KM)can only use the baseline stick at 256 (a duo unit 2 128mb internals stuck in the package with a manual switch) no MS pro. this can be limiting for some users. the g500 uses SD memoryan open standard and available anused in many products.max size surrently at1gb and going up.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote