Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2004, 4:25 AM   #1

I'm looking to buy a high quality 5M pixel point and shoot camera. I've narrowed it down to the above 2 models. My two main criteria separating the two are image quality and shutter lag. I'm leaning towards the Canon for slightly better quality but towards the Nikon for lower shutter lag times. Would these assumptions be correct?

I'm trying to find information on the web regarding shutter lag times of both cameras but can't get a definitive answer. How do they compare? From reading reviews I understand the Nikon is "virtually" lag-free whilst the Canon does show a little delay.

I currently use the 3M pixel Minolta Dimage Xi and am pretty disappointed with the shutter lag. How does this compare with these two?Will I see an improvement from my Minolta or am I hoping for too much?

Any advice greatly appreciated!!
Lee71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 5:20 AM   #2

The Nikon is far from "lag-free" but about half of the Canon's. According to Steve, the 5200 has a shutter lag of 0.6 seconds and the Canon is about twice that. Shot to shot times are faster with the Nikon as well. Imaging Resource does a nice timing series for everything they test, but they haven't gotten around to the 5200 yet
: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S500/S50DATA.HTM

The Nikon shutter lag is about right for a new model camera. The Canon is poor. Even 0.6 seconds is a long time between pushing the shutter and capturing the picture in any dynamic situation. If a camera has continuous focus you can hold a pre-focus in those dynamic situations and reduce your shutter lag considerably. I haven't checked whether either have continuous focus mode, but it is one of those features I don't like to be without.

Look at Steve's sample pictures from both and decide for yourself which has better quality. Make sure you have your browser set to not resize the pictures so you can see them 100%.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote