Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:31 AM   #1

I am looking to upgrade from a Nikon 885, which thankfully broke this weekend. I despised this camera. The shutter speed on it was ridiculously slow. So basically I want to spend about $500 on a good camera for the enthusiast (my wife takes pictures of our two year old) that will have aquicker shutter speed. I had looked at the Nikon 5200 and 5400, but don't want o jump into anything. Thanks for any help that you can give.
930chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:50 PM   #2

Dave has a page like this for every camera he tests.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C5400/C54A7.HTM Unfortunately he hasn't tested the 5200. Steve touches on lag and cycle times in his review conclusions, and the 5200 seems as fast.

I find continuous focus mode great for rugrats. You can pre-focus and the camera continues to focus until you take the shot. You get the advantage of the very fast pre-focus lag time. Some cameras are almost instant. It takes more battery power is the only downside. Some cameras don't have the mode, but both of the Nikons have it.

About the fastest thing currently available in a consumer camera is the Olympus C60:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C60/C60A7.HTM It has an odd continuous focus mode called "full time focus". The camera focuses all the time in that mode but freezes the focus with pre-focus. Not as good as continuous focus for someone who regularly uses pre-focus but good for those who just push the shutter. My guess is that Dave got those good times with full time focus activated.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote