Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:31 PM   #1

I want to buy a digital camera for my parents. They are in their 60's. We don't need all the features(movie, stitch assist, etc)that are packed in most cameras, they will just confuse. Camara used to take simple photos that will be emailed and some maybe printed. Simplicity to use is the most important factor. If you have a recommendation please let me know. In advance, thank you.:|
Rogier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:00 PM   #2

Without knowing what your budget is, I'd probably pick out something like a Kodak DX4530, with the optional EasyShare Camera Dock II (which also includes 2 rechargeble NiMH Batteries).

Colors are richly saturated in the model, so she wouldn't need to worry about learning how to post process the images to get reasonably good results.

As a general rule, I'm not that that fond of Kodak Digital Cameras. But, for simplicity, this may be the best way to go.

It's got a mode dial on the top with an Auto setting, and some scene modes, too (Night, Sport, Landscape, and Macro).

ISO is fully auto too, varying it from 130 to 200 in lower light.

So, virtually everything is under automatic control. It's user interface is also very easy to use, complete with large icons for the choices, and helpful feature descriptions

Steve reviewed the camera here. Note how the record menu works (when you press the flash button, instructions on the flash modes come on screen, etc.). Here's the record menu page:

Here's the main review page:

The optional EasyShare Camera Dock II comes with Macintosh and Windows software, and and plugs into a USB port.

The two combined (Kodak DX4530 + EasyShare Camera Dock II, which includes the rechargeable batteries), should run $400.00 or less. Most vendors show the camera alone for $299.99, and the docking station for $79.99 (make sure you're looking at the Easyshare Camera Dock II, not the Printer docking station).

Note that you don't need a docking station to use it, but it may be much easier for them to use that way (for recharging the batteries, and transferring photos from the camera). That way, they wouldn't need to worry about using a separate battery charger, or how to hook up the camera to the computer to transfer images (assuming you will install the camera docking station for them).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:41 PM   #3

I'm 69 years old and I can share with you that as one ages, holding onto things becomes more of an issue. Things just seem to slip away. The cameras with a built in grip, especially if they are sort of rubberized are a big help.

I think the Kodak cameras, such as the 4530 that Jim mentioned above work pretty well in this regard. I've had the 4530 in my hands, and it felt pretty good.

Another camera that fit good and seemed easy to grasp is the Canon Powershot G5, but it may be more camera than you are seeking.

Probably way out of the range you want to look at, but easy to hold onto is the Sony 828.

Along those same lines, the Nikon 5700 is a real jewel for gripping, one of my favorites in this regard.

I have a Sony T-1 and I can tell you that's one slippery sucker. I also have a Nikon D70 which is easy to hang onto, but too heavy for a walk around camera. I may add a Canon G5 to my collection for a walk around camera, or maybe I'll just stop walking around.

And that's the perspective from the late '60s.

Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote