Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:58 PM   #1

O I just got a new cannon i9900 printer which is capableof outputting 13x19 size prints and would like to know which 8-meg camera would provide it the best quality image for a fabulous result.i9900 printer which can print up to 13x19 inch prints and was wondering which 8 -meg camera would feed it the best detailed image for a fabulous result.
fjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2004, 10:01 AM   #2

Good printer

I'd say the 8mp camera that produces the "best" image is the Canon 1d-MKII.

If you are after point&shoots I'd be looking at the other features like lense quality, speed of operation(or lack of it), image stabilization etc. Having 8mp dosen't buy you very much in image quality or crop abilityover a 5 or 6mp camera. With the tiny sensors used in the P&S it may buy you more image noise.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:00 PM   #3

I am going to say that for the price of an 8MP point and shoot, you should just spend a bit more and get a digital SLR. The reason is that all of the point and shoot cameras have CCD imagers that are about 1/1.8 inches diagonal. Four million pixels spread across that space is not too bad, but when you have eight million pixels in the same size space, it generates more noise in low light conditions, which would be seen as multi-colored pixelation is darker parts of the picture. You may have seen this in a film camera, especially APS cameras. The digital SLR cameras have sensors that are much larger (more than 1 inch?) and only six million pixels to spread across the surface, so they will generate less noise in low light shots. Considering you are already thinking about spending around $1000, I would look to spend a little bit more and look at the Canon Rebel or 10d.

Good luck!
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:38 PM   #4

You need to look at the conditions you'll be using the camera in to make this kind of decision.

In laboratory conditions, mounted on a tripod, pointing at a given subject, in a given lighting conditon, you may find that one performs a little better than another.

However, in the "real world", things like Lens Brightness/Focal lengths, Autofocus Speed, Cycle Times, user control of features used most often, etc., come into play.

For example, if you were taking photos of a distant subject with the Olympus C-8080 WZ, and the subject didn't occupy the entire frame (because it has a shorter focal length than the other 8 Megapixel Models in it's class), then you'd have less detail of this subject in a print (because it would have less pixels representing it).

If you needed to take photos of very distant subjects, then the Nikon 8700 may be the best choice (provided you have very good light and/or are using a tripod), because it has the longest zoom lens in this class of camera.

Another example: Suppose you like taking photos in low lightwithout a tripod.The Konica-Minolta DiMAGE A2 has an anti-shake feature that can allowslower shutter speeds than the others without motion blur from camera shake. So, you may be able to get a sharp photo in conditions that the photos from the other models would be blurry in.

Each of these models will have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. You'll need to figure out how you want to use a camera, and try to determine which one will work best for you in those conditions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 1:33 PM   #5

You might want to check the latest results : http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ts/index.shtml

As to dSLR vs digicams: http://luminous-landscape.com/essays...vs-dslrs.shtml
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:22 PM   #6

If you don't get a DSLR you will want to become familiar with Neat Image or Noise Ninja. They do an excellent job of removing the noise for large prints. You don't print everything at 13 X 19, and for the times you do it is worth the extra effort.

[align=justify]I agree with JimC that other factors are probably more important than pure image quality. The stabilization on the A2 for instance lets you shoot at a lower ISO in many situations. Noise will degrade the resolution if it gets too high, and the higher the ISO the more noise. It also makes you less dependent on a tripod to get really sharp images in various situations. The 28mm wide angle also lets you get better landscape and architectural shots. If you tend to take photos of birds or wildlife where you use the telephoto a lot the Nikon 8700 might be a good choice. Although you can get a good telephoto extender for the A2 and have the advantages of stabilization for the telephoto shots.[/align]
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote