Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:38 AM   #1

Hi. I would like an ultra compact 4MP camera that fits in my pocket. I am debating the Canon Powershot 410 vs. Nikon Coolpix 4200 vs. Olympus Stylus 410. In overall performance, feel and design I prefer the Nikon. However, the Olympus is advertised as being "all weather" and that sort of ruggedness in a camera really appeals to me. But what does "all weather" really mean? Are the Canon and Nikon not "all weather"? Are they constructed to bewatertight, rugged? In terms of overall durability is the Olmpus the best then? I would like to take this camera out on hikes and outdoor trips but would also like high quality indoor shooting.I would like to beable to print out high quality 8x10s.What would be your recommendation?

Thank you.

michaeldw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:09 PM   #2

The Canon and Nikon are not all weather. The Olympus all weather cameras are designed to handle moisture. You can see a gasket around the media door, but what you can't see is that every button and dial also has gaskets under the casing. In fact, they actually have a plasic inner body, and an all metal outer body. In Japan, a company tested the water durability of the Olympus all weather cameras. On a rating of 1-5, 5 being fully submersible, they rated a 4. According to Olympus, they can withstand one liter of water over a five minute time frame, so basically, you can still take pictures in the rain. For durability, the Olympus is the best. Another good feature of these cameras is the Olympus optics. Since 1911?, Olympus has been making lenses for microscopes and other medical equiptment, so by the time digital cameras were developed, you can be sure that the lenses are great. In fact, many scientists and doctors prefer Olympus lenses now for all of their medical studies. It seems to me that you need to just get the Stylus 410. I understand your concern for where your money goes, but if you want rugged, you want Olympus.

Good luck!
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:17 PM   #3

Here is one other 4MP model that you may want to consider, too. You'll have to decide which one is better:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote