Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:57 AM   #1

Hi all,

some advice please! New baby arrived and want something to take good quality shots andreasonable video in one camera, and as far as I can see, you can't really get both in the same box?

I guessfor 80% of the time we'll take still shots, the remaining20% movies, but probably only short-ish clips rather than feature films!Ionly want decent quality movies, but I do wantexcellent quality stills. What I think I've concluded is the following:-

I can either spent £350 and get a good digital camera which takes ok-ish movie clips and great stills, and in that class I'm pondering the Canon S1 IS and the Olympus c-770UZ - on balance based on what I've read the Oly is the slightly better camera. My current thinking is to opt for the Oly and get an additional 256mb card for flexibility to store stills and movies before transferring to disc.

OR, I can spend £750 and get a camcorder which takes great video and ok-ish stills, like a Panasonic NV-GS120.

Any advice please??!!!
nettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:43 AM   #2

Which is more important to you???

Personally I'd buy both, but buy last year's model camcorder...you'll save money on that; I'd buy the current model digicams...they are improving them all the time.

The thing about movie modes on digicams is it's not easy to get it from the computer to VHS...yes you can use the supplied video cable to go from camera to VCR, but you don't get a true, overscanned picture (you usually get a "letterbox" picture).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:09 AM   #3

I suppose the still shots are more important to me, although I'm coming round to your view that in order to have the flexibility to do both I actually need to buy 2 cameras.

If possible could you explain whether the letterbox effect you refer to would be the same when transferring to computer?

many thanks...
nettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:07 AM   #4

The MPEG4 on the Oly will fit a lot more movies on your card. But you get more memory for the money with the CF card on the S1 compared to the xD card for the Oly.

I have an FZ10 and have decided I will never again buy another large camera without stabilization. It lets you shoot with available light in a lot more situations without a tripod. I'm not recommending the FZ10 for your use as the movies aren't great. But the stabilization on the S1 is a factor I would consider.

640 X 480 movies at 30fps look nice on a TV or computer screen. Not a substitute for a good digital camcorder, but nice to have along if you don't want to carry both a still camera and a camcorder.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote