Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:00 AM   #1

In the construction business we need to take photos of work in process and work that needs repair. What camera is best to print 4x6 point and shoot.
jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:27 AM   #2

Look through Steve's list of best cameras in the 2 and 3Mp cameras. 2Mp will give good 4 X 6 prints where 3Mp will let you crop more and still get good prints. If you intend printing just what you shoot and will need only 4 X 6, 2Mp would be sufficient.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html Then crosscheck the prices: http://www50.shopping.com/xPP-Digita...kin_id-3053120

Fuji, Olympus and Sony require you to buy odd memory at slightly higher prices. CF is the cheapest memory followed by SD. You can also use SD in your palmtop, MP3 player etc. You always need memory, but 128Mb should be sufficient unless you want to take a lot of images at once. 64Mb might get you by just fine in a 2Mp camera.

Most of the cameras in Steve's 2-3Mp list don't come with battery chargers. Wal-Mart usually has an inexpensive charger and NiMH batteries – don't get rechargeable NiCad. Regular alkalines and one use lithium batteries get expensive over time. Alkalines don't take many pictures and the lithium batteries are pricey.

You can get a Fuji A205 for $115 delivered, a 64MbOly xD card for $25 and pick up a charger and NiMH batteries for about $25. That would give you about 100 shots on a card at best quality.

If you have a CD writer you might give the pictures to the customer on CD. My next door neighbor just built a house and I took pictures of all the stuff behind the walls etc while it was being built. He really appreciated having the images. I wish I had images of my house when it was being built.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 1:01 AM   #3

Your requirements are similar to mine. I bought the Pentax Optio 30 because it offers the best picture quality, size, auto scene settings and adequate manual settings for the price. Every review I read, including the one in Steve's site, were all positive. My experience with the camera is great as anticipated and I am obviously very satisfied. However, any of Steve's "Best 3MP Cameras" are good choices. Good luck.
JoeFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote