Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:57 PM   #1

We're looking for a family-use point & shoot with the following characteristics:

Lithium-ion-polymer battery with long life, a3x (or more) optical zoom, very fast boot-up time, very short shutter delay, flash with a minimum 12-foot range for indoor & night shots, simple controls, and very quick, accurate autofocus (especially in low-light conditions).

Things we don't care about include high megapixel count (none of these photos will be enlarged beyond 4x5), manual overrides, external flash connectors, type of storage card, or cost.

Suggestions are appreciated from forum members who have extensive experience with a wide variety of makes and models. What cameras to AVOID are just as valuable to me as information on which to look at. For example, I've read that all the Nikon point-and-shoot models have abysmally slow autofocus in low-light. True? I've also read that the Sony "info-lithium" batteries are some of the longest lasting on the market. True? In any case, I've read a number of magazines, and don't find a great deal of comparison information on the features that I'm particularly interested in. That's whyI'm posting here. Your help is appreciated.
Boomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 11:15 PM   #2

I had a Minolta G400 camera for a short time (until my nephew dropped it into the ocean) & it was great in all the qualifications you desire. (If my Brother-in-law will get off his butt & burn me a CD of the images I took with it, I would show you)! I hadn't used a point & shoot camera until the G400, but it managed to take excellent pictures that amazed me.