Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2004, 3:18 AM   #1

I want to buy a new digicam of about 5 MP resolution. I have shortlisted the above models.

Basically I would be using it for outdoor shots, sunset shots and closeups of flowers etc. Occasionally at some family reunion I will also use it for indoor shots.

Also the camera should be compact enough to carry in my pockets. (That rules out Coolpix 5200). I am novice to photography and hence would like to have as many automatic features as possible. But I would like if there is option for certain important features. My budget is upto $400.

What I found out is that DSC P100 has a great lens (Carl Zeiss)for outdoor snaps. But at the same time the flash is not that good. Its weak as compared with the canon models.Between S50 and S60, both are good cameras although slighly bulky than the sony. Now I am in a dilemma whether I will need a wide angle lens (S60) or better zoom lens(S50). And is S50 worth the extra cash? What is the difference between S50 and S60 other that lens specifications?

Please guide..

Bottomline is I want excellent image quality.

Should I go for Sony P100 or S50 or S60?

abhijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:28 PM   #2

The S60 is a little noisier than the S50. There isn't much difference between 100 and 105 mm eq, but there is a big difference between 35mm and 28mm for wide. The S50 is 3X optical and the S60 is 3.7X. The Sony is also 3X and gets a longer zoom by going to 38mm on the wide.

I make up for not having a wide angle on my pocket camera by grabbing 2 panoramas with the camera held vertically. It gives me about 27mm and about 8.5Mp. But it doesn't work for anything dynamic.

The Sony is easier to carry. The S60 and P100 have a much better movie mode than the S50.

You would probably be happy with any of them. Set your browser to not resize the images and look at Steve's sample photos from each. They all look pretty good.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote