Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2004, 7:26 PM   #1

I'm looking for a new digicam, and would be interested in opinions from folks. Here's roughly what I'm looking for:
  • 4 - 6MP [/*]
  • 4x (or greater) optical zoom [/*]
  • Good size display [/*]
  • Relatively small (doesn't need to be super-tiny, but nothing too big either) [/*]
  • Good all-around quality photos [/*]
  • Easy to use (point and shoot), but the ability to take advantage of more advanced features [/*]
  • Quick recycle times, short shutter lag, etc.[/*]
I'm mostly a point-and-shht person, but I'd like the ability to experiment and improve my photographic skills. My wife used to do a lot of film SLR photography, but has gotten away from that. I'd like something that could perhaps entice her to start shooting more photos.

Most of our photos will likely be of our kids, family gatherings, sightseeing, etc. Both indoor and outdoor photos.

I don't want anything that's too big, but it should be big enough that I can get a good grip on it.

The ability to use an external flash would be nice, but not a requirement, as I don't know how often I'd use one.

I've read a fair amount about the Casio Exilim EX-P600, and it seems like it's very close to what I'm looking for. But, it's on the expensive side. Also, there are some reports from folks about noise at higher ISO levels, but I have no idea if that's something that I'd really ever notice or not, as I don't have a good idea of what it is, when it can come into play, whether it would be noticeable in a 4x6 or 5x7 or 8x10 print, etc.

When it comes to other manufacturers (Canon, Olympus, Sony, Minolta, etc), I just get totally overwhelmed by the number of models they have.

Any suggestions? Any input on the Casio EX-P600? Any other camera that you would suggest?

Any input that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ALF-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links