Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:40 AM   #1

Any comments for which camera to choose? Is Dimage Z3 having noisy pic than Z2? Any recommendation? Going to get one camera by mid of next week. But not sure which one to sure.
TeamWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:27 AM   #2

Wow, that is a pretty wide range of cameras you have listed, everything from 3MP up to 8MP. If you can cover all of these items you may as well add the rest of the 8MP models, especially the Sony F828 and the Konica Minolta A2. To paraphrase a line from drag racing there is no substitute for MegaPixels (cubic inches). If you need big prints and have deep pockets than the 8MP models will deliver (just don't bother with the higher ISO settings, too noisy). But just as 1.8L Hondas are now making over 1000hp, the 3MP models here will produce excellent results up to 8" X 10" and have a larger zoom range of 10X to 12X. All of the cameras you have listed will produce excellent results so look at the reviews and see which one best suits your shooting style, your favourite subject matter and your budget.

My choices:

the Z3 looks good at my budget but I haven't actually held one yet,

the S7000 is a nice solid camera but has some issues with overcompressed images (not really a big deal unless you take a lot of pictures which draw attention to it) and

the Sony F828 because of its excellent build quality and familiar handling (I come from film SLRs so I like a "real camera" feel), and again, with the Sony, the densely packed sensor means more noise at higher ISOs. (KM A2 also has great handling and lots of features)

The Cannon and the Nikon are also excellent cameras but don't offer as much value as the others, in my humble opinion of course. None of these are bad cameras.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:22 PM   #3

Don't forget the Panasonic FZ-20! 12X Optical Zoom, OIS... But seeing as you want a camera soon - FZ-10.
bouncerbenji is offline   Reply With Quote