Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:58 AM   #1

Major requirements is long zoom and good movie mode. I really wanted the Z3 due to its 12X zoom but the samplemovie mode I've seen with slow focus when zooming has put me on the fence again. The canon is looking better now and its a good $130.00 less than the Z3. I hope Steve does a review of this soon. Any comments would be appreciated.

retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2

I just purchased the S1 IS. It was between the Panasonic DMC-FZ10, and DMC-FZ15 and S1 IS. I so far like the S1 IS. I am going back to Europe in October and wanted a 10X+ zoom lens camera to compliment my CanonS45 4MP. My storage device is a Super Digibin with 20GB hard drive. I might take it up to 80GB for movies on the trip.

I ordered the wide angle and telephoto lens for the S1 IS, two weeks away. I am picking up a few filters: UV Haze and Circular Polarizing. So far I shot a Pepsi truck and stop sign at 2000-2200 feet with the regular zoom lens. It turned out decent for my first zoom shot. A little hazy. I did 200% zoom on my computer and could read the stop sign at 2000 feet. It was clear. I have been practicing with Av manual focus mode with flash for indoor shooting. The auto-focus does not work great in low light. It was in a review I read. Tonight, I will try the movie mode to see how it does indoors and outdoors. I have been keeping notes on my successes and failures in different conditions. I have been happy with the zoom feature and flash. It is decent speed saving in super fine large mode. I do miss RAW mode of my S45.

I am using the Energizer 1.2V 2300mAh AA miNH recharables. I have three sets of 4. I purchased the camera at Best Buy 12 months same as cash. They did not have the Canon batteries. The Energizers just take 24 hours on first charge and 7 uses of charge+discharge+charge to get full life. I have shot a hundred or so with flash and still on the first set of batteries. I do remove them when not in use.

I am happy so far.

mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote