Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1

I have a question that has to do with scene modes.

Nikon Coolpic 3200 has

Shooting is simplified by the general-use AUTO mode and supplemented by 10 different Scene modes, 6 Portrait modes, 5 Landscape modes, 3 Sports modes and 6 Night Portrait modes that allow you to capture great pictures in a variety of common situations. This can be accomplished by making one selection in setup mode.

Canon Powershot A75

Special Scene mode that optimizes image quality for six common shooting conditions: Indoors, Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, and Underwater.

Does the Canon not have as many setup modes as the Nikon? Can you get all the setup modes on the Canon as with the Nikon without having to make multiple setup changes.

Keep in mind I would prefer the camera to be as simple to operate as possible. If I could get to the same screen modes as easy with the Canon as with the Nikon I would be sold on the Canon. When I looked at the Canon in the store I could not figure out how to get the screen modes on the Canon as easily as the Nikon but I did not devote a lot of time to researching it.
leverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:59 AM   #2

Coolpix 3200 and Canon A75 are quite different cameras aimed at different users. The Coolpix 3200 is aimed at users with little or no interest in the technical aspects of photography. The scene modes are easy to use and understand and ensure good results most of the time. A75 on the other hand is aimed at users that would like to take control over camera settings. If you wanta point and shoot camera go with the Nikon. I have one as my spare, party camera and found that the scene modes work good in situations where the full auto mode can get confused. If you 'd like more user control grab the Canon. To utilize its full potential however you'll need tomaster some basic photographic skills. It sure can be used as a fully automatic point and shoot camera , but there is no need paying the extra money and having the extra bulk for something that's not used.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote