Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2004, 2:14 PM   #1

I am torn between the both of these. Which one if anyone knows would be the better camera. The HP Photosmart 5.1 (hpR707) or the Nikon Coolpix 5200? I want to use the camera for vacation pics, family, animals...i'm not using this for professional use. I do however want to be able to print very clear 8X10 pics. As far as video goes...I don't really plan to use that feature.

If there is a different camera 5.1 mp that you would think is better please also let me know.

Thank you.

jerzgrl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:16 PM   #2

I too have been looking for a small point and shoot. I had originally purchased the Casio Z-40; however, the lens failed to retract on me so I ended up returning it. What I have been noticing from reviews and comments by owners is that picture quality seems to really lack (noise) in the smaller cameras. It doesn't seem as if any pocket sized camera have received a good review.

In terms of the two models that interest you, "Popular Photography" magazinecompared the two models in their September issue which should be on your news stand. Basically, the Nikon won over the HP. Noise was an issue with the HP at fairly low ISO's, where as it was only moderate at ISO 200 on the Nikon. However, there were features on both cameras that were disliked by the reviewer. Personally, I really like the feel of the Nikon in terms of ergonomics. It feels really comfortable in your hands. This is one thing that I wasn't crazy about with the Casio. It was very awkward to hold.

BTW, The Casio P600 is also reviewed in this issue if anyone is interested. It also did not do well above ISO 100. I'm not certain what to make of all of this, other than manufacturers are pushing technology too far with small CCD's.

TTT103 is offline   Reply With Quote