Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 31, 2004, 8:30 AM   #1

Been thinking about either the panasonic fx7 or p150, not sure about the image stabilisation on the panasonic, is i t reall needed?and dont know how much quality may loose in comparison to the p150, does the p150 have anything like the image stabilizer?and also no viewfinder on fx7 is this a major problem?
afc666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2004, 3:53 AM   #2

The first thing to say here is that the 7.2 megapixels of the p-150 are largely advertising. Sony put a higher resolution CCD in the same diagonal size; thus whatever you gain in pixels is lost in quality.

Now, as far as image stabilisation goes...it depends. It is always helpful, but on anything in the 3-4x range it is largely overkill. Check to see how much you`re paying for the stabilizer, then decide if it`s worth it (By the way, the p-150 does not have an image stabilizer). As for the lack of viewfinder on the fx7, it is simply a matter of choice. Some people-namely those who have switched from film to digital-prefer to compose shots using the viewfinder. Try going and trying out the camera in store, as you may find it is impossible for you to compose your shots without a viewfinder. Of course, having just the lcd will work fine for some people, too.
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 5:28 AM   #3

Hi afc666

I'm in the same situation as you. I compared the two cameras and their images. In my opinion the FX7 makes very, very noisy pictures :-(
Sure the image stabilisation is a plus but when the images are bad...
The dimensions of the P150 is on the limit for me. I really want a snapshot-camera but I have seen the pictures in different pre- and reviews and I like them. Everything looks sharp and clear (personal feeling). The noise-level is acceptable...

I will see if the small FX2 with less resolution is better but I think I will go with the new Sony! Price is the same here in Switzerland (FX7 <-> P150)

yob is offline   Reply With Quote