Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:52 AM   #1

thanks for a great website. I am looking for a 3 Mpix optical zoom camera, that does aerial/landscape photography best, price around 200,-euros. This can mean any kind of programming before shooting. All the pictures I take have the problem of over-exposure (at least they look like that). So the camera that does filter out the dust and the moisture best, will be my take. I am considering the Ricoh Caplio G4 wide or the Canon Powershot A75.
Please help, thanks,
Georg (Germany)
PS: I know the pics get better when being shot from within a shadow, also of course with the sun in the back.
PPS: The a.m. problem occurs with cheapo DigiCams as well as film cams.
PPPS: Maybe a polarizer or skylight filter will enhance the pics, but the cams I tried with a built-in skylight filter didn't do much better either.
geobeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:28 AM   #2

There is always things to learn about photography...there's a lot of range in light between the land and the sky, and most consumer (and prosumer) digital cameras can't capture the whole range. Also where you point your camera at is where it will take a light reading which will affect the picture...see the pictures here of the duck, and how where you take your meter reading will affect exposure:

Probably for aerial photography a wider lens is better (I've done *some* helicopter photography, but I'm no pro).

A polarizer can do a good job under the right circumstances:

As for skylight, it's basically a UV filter with a pink tinge...it's for warming up of skintones mostly.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 3:58 AM   #3

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for your comments. Looks like there's no getting around a polarizer. I am frequently taking pics from a hangglider or paraglider. Of course you get better results in early morning or evening air, also in post-frontal conditions (dry and cold air). Here you can see some examples of not-so-good-pictures, depth of vision mainly varying with humidity:

[size=cheers, Georg][/size]
geobeo is offline   Reply With Quote