Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2004, 1:56 PM   #1

I own the Canon A80.

I noticed the new A95 is now out.

Would I benefit any upgrading to the A95? I use the camera for mostly point and shoot and usually print images no larger than 5x7, although sometimes I would like to go up to something like an 8x10 or so for framing.

Would I benefit from the extra megapixel resolution or is it not worth upgrading the camera?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions.

Mike R.
Mike R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2004, 5:03 PM   #2

If the new Canon A95 was selling for $300.00 (which it'snot), and the old Canon A80 was selling for $400.00, and I wanted to buy one of them; I'd pay $100.00 more to get the A80 instead.

After cropping for the correct ratio of width to height for an 8x10" print, the A80 would give you 213 Pixels Per Inch of detail at this print size, compared to 243 Pixels Per Inch of Detail for the newer A95.

Personally, I can't see any improvement in quality in a print once you get to around 200 Pixels Per Inch. IMO, anythingover 3 Megapixels is a waste of space if you're going to being printing 8x10" or smaller prints.

A higher resolution model does give you a little more room for cropping, but the differences between 4 and 5 Megapixels is just too small, and the improved images at higher ISO speeds from the A80 would be an advantage to me.

The A80 has the benefit of larger photosites for each pixel (since you've got a lower number of pixels in the same size CCD). As a result, noise levels are usually lower with the 4MP 1/1.8" CCD, compared to the newer 5MP 1/1.8" CCD as ISO speeds are increased. This is because the larger photosites can gather more light, and require less amplication of their signal.

Unless you really need the new A95features (LCD differences, etc.), I'd keep your A80.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 5:01 AM   #3

This is interesting. I have a Fujifilm Finepix 2800 Zoom, but I miss the control I had with my old Canon AE1 SLR. I HAD been considering a Canon A80 or the S1 IS. Now that the A95 has come out, that's added another dimension. I like a higher optical zoom capability, especially with the image stabilisation, and my gut feeling to go for that and not worry about the "lowly" 3 mp of the S1 seems vindicated by your explanation, JimC. Any comments?
w00wah is offline   Reply With Quote