Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:57 AM   #1

I use my 35mm camera for scientific work making photomontages for visual impact assessment. I use a fixed 50mm lense as this is closest the natural (vertical) field of view of the human eye. We then scan the photo negs and mosaic.

I wish to cut out the scanning part and use a digital camera. The problem is finding a camera which allows control of focal length and indication of focal length. That is I want to get a precise equivalent of a 50mm lense. This could either be a fixed lense or a zoom lense which indicates focal length.

A DSLR camera would fit the bill, but would cost at least $1,000. Are there any cameras in the $500 range which either have focal length indicated on the zoom barrel or in the view finder (not just zoom factor)?

Martinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:23 AM   #2

The focal lenght (and on some camera the distance as well) is tagged in the EXIF info of each picture. You may not see during the shoot, but it's there on all digital pictures...

The zoom marking is usually mark on the camera lens as well
See example: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a1_pg2.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:06 PM   #3

Many cameras have a default setup feature available...my two year old C-700 has a custom reset that allows me to set the default power up zoom to 50mm (I prefer that so I can then decide whether to zoom in or out from the eye focal length) rather than the default power up of full wide.

Many other Olympus C-series cameras also have this ability in a "My-Mode" which allows you to set several presets depending on what you shoot most.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote