Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:37 AM   #1

I posted on some other forums before I saw this one, asking this question: With the $200 rebate on the 8700, I believe I can get this camera for 550 or so, which is my LOCAL price on the Z3. Although I can get it for 479 on buy.com. I have also been considering the Fuji S7000, and the Canon IS which I ruled out due to 3.2 mpx (and I just didn't like the feel of the camera).

I tried out the Z3 today for the first time and I'm really impressed with it's responsiveness and features. From purely a feature perspective, I think the S7000 is similar.

However, the Nikon 8700 with the $200 rebate seems to "pull down" a camera normally in a different category (the 8 m pixels) into this range. I've read the 8700 reviews, mostly good (great macro mode apparently) but some concerns about noise at higher ISO levels.

But generally, how would the Nikon 8700 compare with these other two, if you assume the cost for any is $550 +/- $70 let's say? Is the image quality of the 8700 (and build quality, reputation, other factors) enoughto focus in on that one?

It seems like a lot of this is really subjective... depending exactly on the features you're looking for...so I'm just asking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance!
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:12 AM   #2

If your choice is between those 2 it has to be the Nikon. Reviews of the Z3 do not impress me.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote