Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:08 AM   #1

I am brand new to digital cameras and do not do alot of photography. That is about to change. I do not know alot about these cameras and have done alot of research on the topic but still unsure of what camera to get. I want a camera that I can use now and still have a looong future with,(this will probably be my only purchase of a camera for a long time) so I want a good camera that has the features I can grow into. I plan on spending around 500-600$ on it. In your opinions what would be the best bang for the buck?? your opinions are greatly appreciated. While I have been looking for sometime I just don't want to spend that kind of cash on something I know very little about. I Really don't know alot of people that know alot on this subject, thats how I ended up here. Most people I know just go out and buy a simple point and shoot camera. I want that capability but also want alot more features that I can grow into..(sorry to repeat myself)

Any help is appreciated.

ps. cameras of interest

nikon coolpix 8700, olympus c-765,c-750,Canon EOS digital rebel..

but very open to others
toolman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:40 PM   #2

I am definately one of those that goes out and just buyspoint and shoot cameras and not realizing what I am looking for. I realized after my 3rd camera that I really need to sit down and figure out what I really want in a camera and what types of pictures will I be shooting. I currently own 2 Casio's, the Olympus z3040, Nikon 5700, and now the Panasonic FZ20. In honesty, I prefer using the Panasonic the most. It has a 38-432mm lense with Image Stabilization. IS makes a big difference esp when you are using telephoto. The image quality is great and much crisper than any other camera when I am not using a tripod. The Nikon, however, has amzing color quality but no IS so unless I have a tripod, my pictures are not as sharp as the Panasonic esp when in full zoom. I like to take nature photos and sports so a big lense is definately needed. I would definately figure out what type of photography you will be doing and work your way from there. If it's sports, you need a good lense and a camera that is fast. My Nikon takes amzing landscape photos, but it's definately not a very good sports camera, whereas, the Panasonic is very fast and can capture those action shots. I enjoy my Olympus, but it just does not compare to my Nikon or Panasonic. Hope this can be of some help.
ctomaselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 2:09 PM   #3

I would look at the Minolta A1 too. It's probably the most advanced digicam you can get without going with a DSLR.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:05 PM   #4

If 3 MP are enough for you (and that's mostly the case), look at the FZ3 review by dpreview.

It's light-weight compared to the FZ20 and much smaller!

And: you got enough dough to buy you a bigger SD card and a second Li-Ion battery - and what about a nice book on photography?
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:11 PM   #5

Why not check out the Kyocera M410R. Go to the Kyocera forum for more info
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:21 PM   #6

I thought I would like to go with a little higher megapixl camera 5-6...
toolman35 is offline   Reply With Quote