Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:20 PM   #1

Hoping to get a new Sony soon and I'm trying to decide between the P100, the P93 and the W1.
I want to use the camera to take lots of sports photos particularly skiing and snowboarding. The P100 is the only one that has a "high speed shutter" scene mode but the other two have a much better shot to shot time in single mode.
I am trying to find out if the "high speed shutter" mode will make much difference and if I would be able to get just as good results without it using a W1 or P93??
Also if any knows of another camera that can meet the following criteria and would be good for snowboarding pics please let me know:
Compact, Very fast Shutter lag, 640x480 30fps, 5 MP and 3x zoom.
ferniefotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:52 AM   #2

You need to think hard about this. If your main interest is sports shots the camera will need to be capable in this area or it'll drive you mad.

First off I would say the manual modes on the W1 and P93 are pretty useless in fast action situations.

Then there is the Sports Mode on the P100! This doesn't operate as you might think in that first off it selects the smallest aperture (we've tried to reason why!) and then uses the variable ISO to enable a fast shutter all the while. This means in anything other than bright light you can end up with high ISO and grainy images.

It also means that in dull situations it is quite possible for the light to drop beyond the ability of the camera to properly expose the shot in Fast Shutter mode. You do see posts on the forums about this where folks say "I'm shooting images at a party in sports mode and they are all dark"....they will be.

I have the same Fast Shutter mode on my older 5MP Sony and do use it but with the understanding of how it operates.

If I was buying a camera mainly for sporting action I'd get another model or make that has a proper Shutter Priority mode and more than two aperture settings.

Edit: BTW there are three aspects to shooting sports....Fast Shutter, fast operation and fast/effective focus system. Even though the Sony Fast Shutter mode is a bit cranky I've found the usual fast responses of their cameras good. Also for me the Tracking and Constant autofocus modes help a great deal with moving subjects. Even if the shutter speed doesn't freeze the action completely at leastimages are in focus and captured at the right point in time.

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 4:45 AM   #3

Cybershot455 wrote:
Then there is the Sports Mode on the P100! This doesn't operate as you might think in that first off it selects the smallest aperture (we've tried to reason why!) and then uses the variable ISO to enable a fast shutter all the while.
David, check to see how fast you can set the camera in manual exposure mode using the largest aperture.

It could be a hardware design limitation. It is my understanding that the P100 and W1 models only have two real aperture choices (size of the iris), with the values for them changing, based on the amount of zoom used.

If the design is such that the iris is also acting as a shutter, then it may take longer to close the iris from the larger aperture position, limiting the shutter speeds that are possible with it selected. Even though in theory it could use an electronic only shutter, it probably uses a real shutter for better control of light (which may also be the aperture iris).

If it's a hardware limitation, then little could be done to make it better (other than Sony could have selected the larger aperture up to the limit of the hardware design, before selecting the smaller aperture in Sports Mode).

If it's not a hardware limitation, then it could just be a bug in the firmware (you never know about these things -- some programmer may have mistakenly thought that the largest aperture was represented by the largest f/stop value). :-)

It seems unlikely that they would have deliberately designed it to use the smallest aperture for Depth of Field purposes (so, there is probably another reason for it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 5:28 PM   #4

If you are wanting to spend that much. Why not get a Panasonic FZ3 or FZ10, or go a little higher and get the FZ20.

They have very good manual settings, as well as awsome zoom capabilities.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote