Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:55 PM   #1

need to buy a digital camera asap. trying to choose between the minolta z3 and the panasonic dmc-fz20. is the panasonic as fast as the z3? please advise and give advice.:? need the 10-12x optical zoom and picture stablezation.
eureka07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:34 PM   #2

Go with FZ-20. Despite beeing a little noisier and slower, the quality is MUCH MORE better than Z3.
mariusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 12:41 AM   #3

Only limitations to the Panasonic I have heard of (both forums and reviews) are:
- Low Light level: while it focuses, the LCD does not gain up so aiming is difficult. KM Z3 does gain up.

- Macro: Panasonics has its most effective macro (if I am reading the reviews correctly) at the vary widest end of its zoom where it has more barrel distortion than the KM Z3 which has its supper macro at about 63mm (vs. 35mm) so it avoids the barrel distortion(based on my reading of Megapixel.net's review of the Z3) and some hands on in a store with the FZ20.

Hopefully someone who has a FZ20 will correct me on both points as in all other areas the FZ20 produces far better pictures according to the reviews on www.dcresource.com.
He actually has side by side comparison shots with the current firmware in the middle of his Fz20 review. However, minolta has been fixing problems with its firmware and could fix the exposure and sharpness whereas I think the Panasonic limitations for Macro is a lens limitation (I would think the lack of gain up on the LCD should be fixable but they may consider it an advantage (more realistic). Check on both the Pansonic and KM forums on dcreview.com for lively details on both.

wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote